While fighting dinos, no WC allowed. What elements would be depleted?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like Prorocentrum lima, a benthic dinoflagellate of reef environments, frequently found on algae and dead corals (live rock).
They can look similar, and Prorocentrum do show up in similar situations, but these posted pics are definitely Ostreopsis.
Check algaeid for pics and vids. The vids can be really helpful, because dino motion is often more distinctive than shape.
ID to the species level is near impossible unless you can precisely image the theca (armor) plates to tell if it's O. ovata, O. lenticularis, O. heptagona, O. whatever. But best to just presume all Ostreopsis are O. Ovata since those are the most common, most studied, and we haven't detected any discernable differences or reasons to treat other Osti's differently.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check algaeid for pics and vids. The vids can be really helpful, because dino motion is often more distinctive than shape.
I only mentioned Prorocentrum lima because it is the dinoflagellate I most frequently encountered and it looks quite similar. I didn´t see a video or movement. Am I right that you took the pictures and did the determination?
I think in praktical respect it doesn´t matter much since both are toxic benthic dinoflagellates. Or do you think both genera have to be treated different?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn´t see a video or movement. Am I right that you took the pictures and did the determination?
I think in praktical respect it doesn´t matter much since both are toxic benthic dinoflagellates. Or do you think both genera have to be treated different?
I didn't take those. User Pants made that site that I linked.
And I meant that the poster of those pics could check what he sees under scope vs the vids on that site if there was uncertainty.
Good point that prorocentrum and ostreopsis should be treated basically the same. Similar traits, and very similar responses to treatment.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot seems to find a good placement of the wave maker

Don't give up. You have to play around with placement, pointing direction, speed, wave mode and frequency to create the water flow suitable for your tank according to rock arrangement and coral placement. Additional powerheads might be necessary.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back