White algae?

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under all the rocks and in the shadows, I have this white hair/algae/something growing. It is prolific to say the least. Does anyone know what this is? Should I be worried?
White.jpg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without clearer images, my guess would be a combination of either vermetid snails or colonial hydroids (the larger brown tubes) and those fuzzy, invasive tube worms that you rarely hear about. The presence of the tube worms may be due to elevated nutrient levels/amounts of particulate matter.
@ISpeakForTheSeas

Last edited:
OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without clearer images, my guess would be a combination of either vermetid snails or colonial hydroids (the larger brown tubes) and those fuzzy, invasive tube worms that you rarely hear about. The presence of the tube worms may be due to elevated nutrient levels/amounts of particulate matter.
@ISpeakForTheSeas
OK, I've done more searching and I believe you are correct. There are thousands. After much reading on the subject, not sure the correct path forward. My thought is to remove the rockwork and preform a surface scrub. But odds are I won't get them all and they will return. And my rock is glued together. :downcast-face-with-sweat: Has anyone been successful in eradicating hydroids?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's a lot of stuff feeding on something down there; manually removing what you can may help, but you'll probably need to figure out what in your tank is allowing them to thrive in order to stop them from coming back like this.

Looking at your tank's nutrients and particulate/dissolved matter would probably be wise, so considering things like what you're feeding and how much you're feeding may be helpful.

OP
OP
drblank1

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, am throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks. I ordered bumblebee snails for the vermetid snails and a flame back angel for the hydroids. For those interested, I will keep you updated.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar problems
Under all the rocks and in the shadows, I have this white hair/algae/something growing. It is prolific to say the least. Does anyone know what this is? Should I be worried?
White.jpg
Looks like you have alot of different species, hair algae, vermited snails, worms, possible sponges, spaghetti worms, maybe hydroids in there too :( etc.

I tried all ways to remove without the use of chemicals in my aquarium and it did not work :(

So I removed rocks, bleach bathed them for 2 days, let them dry out (maybe a week), then multiple dips in tap water then placed in my copepod breeding tub for a couple of days.
My newly refreshed rocks, have nothing growing on them now as far as I can tell except a little algae so I will do this with my remaining rocks/aquascape.

Just a thought, maybe a possible option for you :)

Attachments

• IMG_20231215_193127.jpg
    IMG_20231215_193127.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20231215_193148.jpg
    IMG_20231215_193148.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 47

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back