Unknown critter

Newbie 4872

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

Recently had a big outbreak of Hair Algae and bought a Sea Hare to get rid of the problem. Which he has done. But I’ve now discovered this item growing on the underneath of some live rock. From what I have seen the thing is static a white/pinkish colour but that may be the lights. Can anyone ID this for me and say if it’s reef safe. . Not the best photos I’m afraid. Many thanks

IMG_1445.jpeg IMG_1440.jpeg IMG_1437.jpeg

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

Recently had a big outbreak of Hair Algae and bought a Sea Hare to get rid of the problem. Which he has done. But I’ve now discovered this item growing on the underneath of some live rock. From what I have seen the thing is static a white/pinkish colour but that may be the lights. Can anyone ID this for me and say if it’s reef safe. . Not the best photos I’m afraid. Many thanks

IMG_1445.jpeg IMG_1440.jpeg IMG_1437.jpeg
That is the weirdest looking thing

And sort of creepy

OP
OP
N

Newbie 4872

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea hare eggs.
Thanks for the reply. But I’m not sure they are Sea Hare eggs. After your reply I searched Sea Hare eggs and they seem to be laid in a pile with ribbed edges (google info) sorry if I’m wrong . This thing is smooth, under a live rock about 4 inches from sand bed and is self supporting comes out maybe 3 inches.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. But I’m not sure they are Sea Hare eggs. After your reply I searched Sea Hare eggs and they seem to be laid in a pile with ribbed edges (google info) sorry if I’m wrong . This thing is smooth, under a live rock about 4 inches from sand bed and is self supporting comes out maybe 3 inches.
It's seahare eggs

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still sea hare eggs.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are seahare no doubt about it. Seahares are hermaphrodites and need another seahars to fertilizer the eggs. Just remove the eggs because they aren't fertilized and nothing eats them.

Usually seahares don't last a real long time in our aquariums. They are harvested at an older age and thus don't live long.

Info that I've read says that once a seahare lays eggs they die shortly after. So keep an eye on that. Much like a squid and octopus.

Dutch_Mill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are seahare no doubt about it. Seahares are hermaphrodites and need another seahars to fertilizer the eggs. Just remove the eggs because they aren't fertilized and nothing eats them.

Usually seahares don't last a real long time in our aquariums. They are harvested at an older age and thus don't live long.

Info that I've read says that once a seahare lays eggs they die shortly after. So keep an eye on that. Much like a squid and octopus.
My Seahares (both) died during my vacation. Now my tank is full of baby sea hares.

This makes more sense now. Ive got hundreds of babies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back