Aptasia?

stalkem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks darker than other aptasia photos I've seen on here. I noticed one decent sized head in a crevice back behind my torch.

I've also noticed some hair like substance, doesn't appear to be algae. It's in the sand rock, but the bottom opposite side. Curious if it's the verge of an outbreak or something different.

PXL_20240411_211023642.MP.jpg PXL_20240411_210940244.MP.jpg PXL_20240411_210324408.MP.jpg PXL_20240411_210345769.MP.jpg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be very, very careful with treatments inside the tank. This is how my infestation happened, all because I used something like aiptasia x. When the aiptasia are stressed, they put spores into the water column, which all of those will most likely grow to a new aptasia. So, if its possible I would highly reccomend treatment outside of the tank, like in a Tupperware with sw in it.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be very, very careful with treatments inside the tank. This is how my infestation happened, all because I used something like aiptasia x. When the aiptasia are stressed, they put spores into the water column, which all of those will most likely grow to a new aptasia. So, if its possible I would highly reccomend treatment outside of the tank, like in a Tupperware with sw in it.
While treating outside the tank is certainly a safe option, I've used Aiptasia-x and similar products multiple times over the years and never had an outbreak.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While treating outside the tank is certainly a safe option, I've used Aiptasia-x and similar products multiple times over the years and never had an outbreak.
Well lucky you I guess, lol. Maybe I am just bad at it.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*PSA - Aiptasia are animals and don't produce spores...
Technically you're correct, but they do spawn. They multiply sexually and asexually.

I would highly recommend especially if this is a new tank to do this outside the water over your kitchen sink. Lemon juice, hot water, atasia X, Kalk paste, or just break off a piece of a rock containing aiptasia.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically you're correct, but they do spawn. They multiply sexually and asexually.

I would highly recommend especially if this is a new tank to do this outside the water over your kitchen sink. Lemon juice, hot water, atasia X, Kalk paste, or just break off a piece of a rock containing aiptasia.

Great read, thanks.
Any articles that describe any propogation behaviors when stressed, like by eradication methods?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read, thanks.
Any articles that describe any propogation behaviors when stressed, like by eradication methods?
I personally in past years have tried to remove some aiptasia and have seen them release their sperm. That's when you say to yourself oh $4*+, what just happened?
And then a few weeks later you're dealing with a bigger problem.

Edit: I tried looking for some videos but my hits were too racy to post here. LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stalkem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The tank is a little over 6 months old now. I'll see if I can get that rock out. I think it's on the top inner cevice of the base rock tho :(.

I've got some Aptasia-X on the way. Prime! I can try the boiling water. I'll should probably pop my torch off that rock before I start fussing it with it too, huh?

I'm guessing if I start pulling the rocks apart, I'll find more, but maybe not. I was very careful about double dipping all incoming corals. I think some of my earlier mistakes are catching up tho. My first coral was a GSP on a small piece of reef rock, and I didn't dip that one... probably the culprit! I also got some snails from ReefClearners, and I think almost all the astraeas have vermetidae on them... so now they all have glue clumps on them. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my thoughts exactly!!

OP
OP
S

stalkem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that is aipastia. Can you get some peppermint shrimp to eat them? They will keep taking care of them if they come back.
I'll try the boiling water/aptasia-X first. If not, i should be able to support a peppermint shrimp. I have a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, and there might be a Randall's Pistol shrimp in there still... haven't seen it since the day I released it with the hi-fin! The hi-fin lives mostly in the inner cave, so if the randall is in there too, that's probably why I never see it.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try the boiling water/aptasia-X first. If not, i should be able to support a peppermint shrimp. I have a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, and there might be a Randall's Pistol shrimp in there still... haven't seen it since the day I released it with the hi-fin! The hi-fin lives mostly in the inner cave, so if the randall is in there too, that's probably why I never see it.
Ha-ha< I have the same thought on my Randall"s, I have not seen him since he hit the tank, and he had JUST MOLTED when I put him in, so he could have easily (but I sure hope not) been a snack for someone.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back