White Blotches / Patches on new Trigger

fundee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, about two weeks ago I bought a new Bursa Trigger, and a filefish at the same time. Yesterday he developed some white spots on one side of his body. It was hard to take pics that accurately depict the spots, but I’ll post a few. He is acting normally it seems. Eating fine, swimming fine. Not sure the likelihood, but he does hang out where there are some nasty bristle

I’ve also got 2 clowns, a 6 line, an LMB, and a Scopas Tang who is acting funny. I’m thinking maybe I should post the tang behavior in another thread, but I’ll share the video here too. It seems like he’s seeing his reflection. Tank is roughly 8 months old. Mixed reef, although largely soft/Lps. Parameters are as follows: 34 salt, 8-9 DKH, 79 degrees, nearly undetectable nitrate, nitrite, and phosphate. I use red sea kits for most things, and Hanna phosphorus and alk checkers. I recently started to dose pohls vitalizer and brightwell aminos, following mfg recommendations. I also just added a skimmer, which I’ve been running without until this week. Any help that can be offered is greatly appreciated.

Edit: some more info, it’s a 90g with 30g sump (maybe 15g volume) , socks, small fuge, DCQ-2 skimmer, two xr30s at about 50% (gen 3, not super new, I’m sure output has diminished some)

Pics attached, here is link to video of tang:

5DCA53E2-E383-4D70-B3EB-FB90DCA2B05C.jpeg 3FAFF500-66E0-4F36-8EF7-CB75F9974AFA.jpeg 09D27997-48B5-4DCB-88F3-7E81C4FC4283.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, about two weeks ago I bought a new Bursa Trigger, and a filefish at the same time. Yesterday he developed some white spots on one side of his body. It was hard to take pics that accurately depict the spots, but I’ll post a few. He is acting normally it seems. Eating fine, swimming fine. Not sure the likelihood, but he does hang out where there are some nasty bristle

I’ve also got 2 clowns, a 6 line, an LMB, and a Scopas Tang who is acting funny. I’m thinking maybe I should post the tang behavior in another thread, but I’ll share the video here too. It seems like he’s seeing his reflection. Tank is roughly 8 months old. Mixed reef, although largely soft/Lps. Parameters are as follows: 34 salt, 8-9 DKH, 79 degrees, nearly undetectable nitrate, nitrite, and phosphate. I use red sea kits for most things, and Hanna phosphorus and alk checkers. I recently started to dose pohls vitalizer and brightwell aminos, following mfg recommendations. I also just added a skimmer, which I’ve been running without until this week. Any help that can be offered is greatly appreciated.

Edit: some more info, it’s a 90g with 30g sump (maybe 15g volume) , socks, small fuge, DCQ-2 skimmer, two xr30s at about 50% (gen 3, not super new, I’m sure output has diminished some)

Pics attached, here is link to video of tang:

5DCA53E2-E383-4D70-B3EB-FB90DCA2B05C.jpeg 3FAFF500-66E0-4F36-8EF7-CB75F9974AFA.jpeg 09D27997-48B5-4DCB-88F3-7E81C4FC4283.jpeg

Tough to say what that is, could be a bacterial plaque/growth, injury or as mentioned, just a sting. The fish is a bit thin, so you'll want to bulk it up a bit.

That scopas is acting really flighty. It might be reacting to your presence. One way to test that is to set up your phone to video it while you leave the room. If it keeps doing that, then it may be chasing its own reflection. You might be able to drape that side of the tank with black plastic to try and reduce the reflection.

Jay

Jay

OP
OP
F

fundee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say what that is, could be a bacterial plaque/growth, injury or as mentioned, just a sting. The fish is a bit thin, so you'll want to bulk it up a bit.

That scopas is acting really flighty. It might be reacting to your presence. One way to test that is to set up your phone to video it while you leave the room. If it keeps doing that, then it may be chasing its own reflection. You might be able to drape that side of the tank with black plastic to try and reduce the reflection.

Jay

Jay
Thank you for the info. Is there anything I should do, or just continue to observe for now? Also, best just to feed several times per day until he’s an appropriate weight?

In regards to the tang, he does that at the front glass too, but not the back or side. Also, my desk is positioned so I can see the tank. It’s possible he can see me, but I’m a solid 5’ away, and I see the same behavior. Does that change anything, and is it still worth recording to see what happens? Thanks again!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info. Is there anything I should do, or just continue to observe for now? Also, best just to feed several times per day until he’s an appropriate weight?

In regards to the tang, he does that at the front glass too, but not the back or side. Also, my desk is positioned so I can see the tank. It’s possible he can see me, but I’m a solid 5’ away, and I see the same behavior. Does that change anything, and is it still worth recording to see what happens? Thanks again!
I would feed the trigger a couple of times a day; pellets, mysids, gel diet. The thin area is actually its back, that’s where it has lost muscle mass. The belly will fill easily, but it is going to take time to fill its back area in.
Jay

OP
OP
F

fundee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as an update, the triggers right side looks like it’s getting better, however, he developed something similar in a similar place on the left side, and he’s now flashing. Every time I’ve seen it it’s been on the right side. Still acting normally otherwise.

The tang also developed some discoloration. Honestly I haven’t paid real close attention to it so it’s hard to say when it developed, but in the tangs case the color looks more like tar or something, and the shape and color looks nothing like the trigger. Any more ideas?

Attachments

• F6537BF9-4CCC-4BA5-99C9-8C8B7764AA3C.jpeg
    F6537BF9-4CCC-4BA5-99C9-8C8B7764AA3C.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 33

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 31 34.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 50 55.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back