White bugs found, how long for Interceptor treatment results?

anthonymckay

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 23, 2021
Messages
577
Reaction score
613
Location
California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had little to no polyp extension on many of my acros for quite a while. I finally had a local reefer who is well known for his amazing SPS tanks come over to consult on mine. We looked at water chemistry, par levels, etc which he said all looked fine. We eventually pulled a couple frags from the tank to inspect & dip and took a look under a microscope. We were able to identify at least 1 white bug species. He thinks that could be the cause of the PE issues, so I was able to get some Interceptor for treatment.

I dosed the first treatment on Saturday evening. By the next morning there were some dead bristle worms floating around in the water column, so it was definitely killing things. I will do 2-3 more treatments, once per week for the next few weeks. My question is, for those that have done interceptor treatments, how long was it before you saw signs of the SPS recovering? Days? Weeks? Months? I search all over the internet, but couldn't find any info on recovery timelines.

 
I've had little to no polyp extension on many of my acros for quite a while. I finally had a local reefer who is well known for his amazing SPS tanks come over to consult on mine. We looked at water chemistry, par levels, etc which he said all looked fine. We eventually pulled a couple frags from the tank to inspect & dip and took a look under a microscope. We were able to identify at least 1 white bug species. He thinks that could be the cause of the PE issues, so I was able to get some Interceptor for treatment.

I dosed the first treatment on Saturday evening. By the next morning there were some dead bristle worms floating around in the water column, so it was definitely killing things. I will do 2-3 more treatments, once per week for the next few weeks. My question is, for those that have done interceptor treatments, how long was it before you saw signs of the SPS recovering? Days? Weeks? Months? I search all over the internet, but couldn't find any info on recovery timelines.


So the first dose kills bugs, the second kills the new hatching eggs, the third is a catch all, what's left if any made it though the first two.
 
I've had little to no polyp extension on many of my acros for quite a while. I finally had a local reefer who is well known for his amazing SPS tanks come over to consult on mine. We looked at water chemistry, par levels, etc which he said all looked fine. We eventually pulled a couple frags from the tank to inspect & dip and took a look under a microscope. We were able to identify at least 1 white bug species. He thinks that could be the cause of the PE issues, so I was able to get some Interceptor for treatment.

I dosed the first treatment on Saturday evening. By the next morning there were some dead bristle worms floating around in the water column, so it was definitely killing things. I will do 2-3 more treatments, once per week for the next few weeks. My question is, for those that have done interceptor treatments, how long was it before you saw signs of the SPS recovering? Days? Weeks? Months? I search all over the internet, but couldn't find any info on recovery timelines.


The acros should be recovering quickly. The interceptor won't harm them so it's the right call. Ive done 1 large pill every 8 hours for 24 hours on a 125 gallon tank (3 large pills). Then waited 7 days and repeated....then 7 and repeated..no acro problems. How much did you dose?
 
I've had little to no polyp extension on many of my acros for quite a while. I finally had a local reefer who is well known for his amazing SPS tanks come over to consult on mine. We looked at water chemistry, par levels, etc which he said all looked fine. We eventually pulled a couple frags from the tank to inspect & dip and took a look under a microscope. We were able to identify at least 1 white bug species. He thinks that could be the cause of the PE issues, so I was able to get some Interceptor for treatment.

I dosed the first treatment on Saturday evening. By the next morning there were some dead bristle worms floating around in the water column, so it was definitely killing things. I will do 2-3 more treatments, once per week for the next few weeks. My question is, for those that have done interceptor treatments, how long was it before you saw signs of the SPS recovering? Days? Weeks? Months? I search all over the internet, but couldn't find any info on recovery timelines.


Hows your coral looking? For me, în the past ive noticed it takes about 3-4 days for the sps to start showing signs of "fluffier" skin and not so pulled tight if the 1st treatment did is job, and the polyp extension gets slightly better day by day.

I'm in the same boat AGAIN right now. Did my first treatment last Saturday. My pink lemonade which was most affected started showing slight PE after about 3 or 4 days. But it's not showing its typical PE by any means just yet.
 
Hows your coral looking? For me, în the past ive noticed it takes about 3-4 days for the sps to start showing signs of "fluffier" skin and not so pulled tight if the 1st treatment did is job, and the polyp extension gets slightly better day by day.

I'm in the same boat AGAIN right now. Did my first treatment last Saturday. My pink lemonade which was most affected started showing slight PE after about 3 or 4 days. But it's not showing its typical PE by any means just yet.
My issue turned out to not be a pest issue. Waited a few weeks after the final interceptor treatment and saw no change. I discovered I had elevated copper in my system (not sure where it came from), and my alk was much lower than my auto alk tester was reporting. I corrected both of those issues and within 2 weeks all of my acros made a DRASTIC turn around. Amazing polyp extension, new growth tips all over the place, etc.
 
I have seen them recover immediately, but I have also seen a few coral that just fail to recover at all and totally stall out. Millipora for some reason. But could also just be something else going on concurrently.
 
My issue turned out to not be a pest issue. Waited a few weeks after the final interceptor treatment and saw no change. I discovered I had elevated copper in my system (not sure where it came from), and my alk was much lower than my auto alk tester was reporting. I corrected both of those issues and within 2 weeks all of my acros made a DRASTIC turn around. Amazing polyp extension, new growth tips all over the place, etc.
Which intercepter did you use ? Was it with plus for prazi or regular non plus?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new