White cloud of doom in my tank!

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank gets real cloudly, like a white cloud that I can see circulating around the tank with the wavermaker pushing the water. From what I read this could be a bloom? Is this ok? Should I do something about it? for filtration I just have a HOB canister filter setup for my 60 gallon tank. Fish and everyone in the tank seem fine but its ugly to see the tank like this.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank gets real cloudly, like a white cloud that I can see circulating around the tank with the wavermaker pushing the water. From what I read this could be a bloom? Is this ok? Should I do something about it? for filtration I just have a HOB canister filter setup for my 60 gallon tank. Fish and everyone in the tank seem fine but its ugly to see the tank like this.
Aerate as much as you can. Can try running some carbon to help clear it up.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a bacterial bloom, it will die off eventually. Usually, a day or so when I've bumped into them. Twice for me - both times because I was an idiot and tried to refill automatic feeder chambers over the bloody tank and dropped the whole thing in! Despite my best effort to clean it all up and WC blooms immediately follow for a day sometimes two.

This can also happen if you dosed bacteria designed to "eliminate sludge and excess nitrates" and stuff. Products like Dr. Tims Waste Away, for instance. Did you dose any bacteria to deal with high nitrates or something by any chance?

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy a Uv sterilizer. It has worked in the past for me.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it started to clear up for you?
Yes other than needing to clean my glass a little it looks worlds better.
Carbon or activated charcol will clear it up. Run it for 5 days. Ur nutrients will go to nothing. Lol.
I have carbon in my canister filter. Should I not use carbon since I have coral? I guess I need some nutrients in there for them.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes other than needing to clean my glass a little it looks worlds better.

I have carbon in my canister filter. Should I not use carbon since I have coral? I guess I need some nutrients in there for them.

I'm not sure how carbon will help mitigate a bacterial bloom. Perhaps others can explain.

I use small amounts of carbon to help remove toxins the corals may emit during warfare. For example, the sarcophyton toadstool leather and its turpins inhibit the growth of surrounding corals.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed too much vibrant and had cloudy water for about 7/8 days, all cleared on its own and no ill effects, if bacterial it will balance itself out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back