White cloudy tank over night..

RainbowReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning when I woke up my 180g tank that is in the process of cycling was really cloudy. When I went to sleep last night it was fine.. Has anyone ever had this happen or know the cause of it? There is a blue chromis in the tank and he seems to be okay.. Any help is greatly appreciated. =]

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi rainbowReef, Welcome to R2R. Are you using new sand? Was the sand rinsed before use? Are you dosing anything that could cause it?

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did that a few times in the first two months of my tank it would instantly cloud over night. I determined mine to be a bacterial bloom

Sent from my VS950 4G using Forum Runner

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any crabs that could have died, or possibly over fed? Also If it's a bacterial bloom or at least the kind I had, a water change will make it worse.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did that a few times in the first two months of my tank it would instantly cloud over night. I determined mine to be a bacterial bloom

That was my next guess too, I assume it settled out on its own?

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I found the rotting crab and got it out, and another time I cut feeding down to almost nothing for a Few days to eliminate food for the bacteria

OP
OP
R

RainbowReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no crabs unless they hitch-hiked in on the live rock. The only thing I put in the tank is the blue chromis and a mexican turbo snail. The sand has been in the tank for about a month. I also just realized that my 40g frag tank is slightly cloudy as well, this tank has no sand or live rock and has been set up for about 2 months.. Could it be that the salt may have been bad?

OP
OP
R

RainbowReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and we haven't been feeding the 180g because the chromis doesn't eat the pellets so I don't think its from over feeding..

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the water would have been cloudy before you added it though if it was the salt, try running some filter floss for now and see if it helps. If it is a bacterial bloom the only real danger is lack of oxygen and with only one fish I would think itll be Ok and you can just ride it out. Please let us know how it goes.

tinkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the filter floss or a uv sterilizer can also help. Uv is what I used the last time I had to deal with this problem.

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its interesting that its in both tanks, did you do a water change in both tanks recently?

OP
OP
R

RainbowReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is filter floss? Is it different from a filter sock? I have done a water change more recently in the 40g tank, but not in the 180g. I think the cloudiness might be getting worse in the 180g though.. I'll try to get a picture so you all can see it.

OP
OP
R

RainbowReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures.. the first one is kind of hard to tell because its the front view. But the second picture is a view from the side of the tank and you can barely see the rock on the sand bed thats about 1 1/2 feet from the glass.

*PS.. We aren't keeping the rock work like this, I know it doesn't look good haha =]

Attachments

• cloudy tank 2.jpg
    cloudy tank 2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 124
  • cloudy tank.jpg
    cloudy tank.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 137

tinkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter floss you can find sometimes in a bag like pillow stuffing or in sheet form. Not much different than filter sock, might trap smaller particals in floss. The tanks are seperate systems no common sump? Does look like a bacteria bloom. Odd it is in both tanks at same time. What are you running for lights and how long?

OP
OP
R

RainbowReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both tanks are running one 120w Maxspect RAZOR. We only have one light over the 180 while it cycles. Using the preset setting #1 on the light and it ramps itself up and down.

The 40 looked 'a little' foggy yesterday afternoon but nowhere near like it is now and the 180 was a night and day difference between clear and milky white overnight.

Is it possible my R.O. machine is to blame at all? i know it needs new DI resin but still only reading 4-7ppm on the included tds meter at output. Just did a fresh water change on both of our 20 gallons and our 75 gallon tank yesterday and really hoping they won't be having the same problem in a few days as they are full to the brim with livestock!

Someone mentioned the UV sterilizer but i dont think i could afford a large one for a tank this size to the point of it being affective? (wifes birthday, christmas, and valentines day all within 45 days of each other.... kill me) would a smaller one work just take longer?

OP
OP
R

RainbowReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UH OH....... the 75 is starting to look a little Milky! Starting to think the top off water May have been contaminated somehow, made it fresh from the machine before using so guess it's a wait and see approach. Should i add a bubbler to the tank to supply extra oxygen for the time being? if this hits my frag tanks full of SPS im fearing the worst. All tanks are on separate systems

OP
OP
R

RainbowReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update

180 is clearing back up quickly witht he skimmer on overdrive

40 still getting worse

75 back to clear

tinkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my tds is over 2 after DI I don't use it. It could be your water. I replace the sedement, carbon blocks and DI all at the same time if I get a reading out of the DI.

Back