White fluff coming from torch during dip

UnnamedReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 29, 2023
Messages
236
Reaction score
136
Location
Connecticut
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had this Aussie green lantern for ~6 months and it's gone from 2 heads to almost 4, but lately been stringy and receding. I think it was too close to my other torches and bothered, but I opted to do a Coral RX and Lugols dip while I moved it a few inches.

During the RX dip it excreted a white fluff from the heads. It was sticky but I blew it off. Nothing else abnormal came off (small bristle worm and brittle star also came off).

Is this a normal stress response, or indicative of an infection? It's my only torch that's done this during a dip. Thanks!

PXL_20250519_134037125.jpg PXL_20250519_134038709.jpg PXL_20250519_134521264.jpg
 
lots of stuff will put out a protective slime if you annoy it
 
Had this Aussie green lantern for ~6 months and it's gone from 2 heads to almost 4, but lately been stringy and receding. I think it was too close to my other torches and bothered, but I opted to do a Coral RX and Lugols dip while I moved it a few inches.

During the RX dip it excreted a white fluff from the heads. It was sticky but I blew it off. Nothing else abnormal came off (small bristle worm and brittle star also came off).

Is this a normal stress response, or indicative of an infection? It's my only torch that's done this during a dip. Thanks!

PXL_20250519_134037125.jpg PXL_20250519_134038709.jpg PXL_20250519_134521264.jpg
This can be its own mucus, bacterial or expelling zoanthellae (its inner algae which provides color and energy)
Try blowing it loose withe GENTLE burst from a turkey baster or pipette and see if it loosens. Once done, see if it returns.
Often if as listed, can be too much light, water flow or low calcium
 
I blew as much of it loose and off the coral as I could before I put it back in.

It's sits in 140 PAR and gentle flow. My calc is normally around 480 so I could try bumping it up a little.

Only the 2 smaller heads were showing recession, so that's why I thought it was real estate related. It was pretty close to my two indos
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new