white goopy spots on sand

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm just coming out of battling with dinos (SCA) by using silicates and causing all sorts of diatom blooms. So far it totally worked! This also came along with tons of Cyano (purple/red) and GHA. I'm letting those run their course. I have lost 3 fish during the 2 month process but I think it's due to poor oxygen (powerhead was broken and didn't realize it), maybe the toxins, and bad water conditions from not doing water changes during the fight. My params are very good but I'm doing an ICP soon just to see how it all is doing. I have a FOWLR 65g.

In the last few days, I've developed little quarter inch irregular areas on the sand that are white and sort of translucent in the middle of cyano areas and diatoms. It looks almost like a fungal growth of some sort and is sort of goopy looking. Sucking it up with a turkey baster isn't easy as it breaks up and mixes together with cyano and I can't get a microscope shot of just the white. I see nothing under scope that looks out of place. Diatoms, Cyano, weird cellular creatures some of which are a bit white looking or clear.

The samples I take really smells bad although the water anywhere else smells fine. It's sort of like rotten/gross ocean 'stuff' which I know doesn't really describe it well. I can't place it. It's not rotten eggs but more like rotten sea plants. Here are some photos. Any ideas what this nasty stuff is? It seems to come back after I siphon it out. It's often at the bottom edges of the rocks so maybe food is collecting there and rotting?? I'm not sure but I've never had it before. Thanks everyone!

20230517_162218.jpg 20230517_162208.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I'm just coming out of battling with dinos (SCA) by using silicates and causing all sorts of diatom blooms. So far it totally worked! This also came along with tons of Cyano (purple/red) and GHA. I'm letting those run their course. I have lost 3 fish during the 2 month process but I think it's due to poor oxygen (powerhead was broken and didn't realize it), maybe the toxins, and bad water conditions from not doing water changes during the fight. My params are very good but I'm doing an ICP soon just to see how it all is doing. I have a FOWLR 65g.

In the last few days, I've developed little quarter inch irregular areas on the sand that are white and sort of translucent in the middle of cyano areas and diatoms. It looks almost like a fungal growth of some sort and is sort of goopy looking. Sucking it up with a turkey baster isn't easy as it breaks up and mixes together with cyano and I can't get a microscope shot of just the white. I see nothing under scope that looks out of place. Diatoms, Cyano, weird cellular creatures some of which are a bit white looking or clear.

The samples I take really smells bad although the water anywhere else smells fine. It's sort of like rotten/gross ocean 'stuff' which I know doesn't really describe it well. I can't place it. It's not rotten eggs but more like rotten sea plants. Here are some photos. Any ideas what this nasty stuff is? It seems to come back after I siphon it out. It's often at the bottom edges of the rocks so maybe food is collecting there and rotting?? I'm not sure but I've never had it before. Thanks everyone!

20230517_162218.jpg 20230517_162208.jpg
Hard to tell on my phone under blue lighting from your tank but may be a nuisance algae known as dictyota

OP
OP
Dweezilz

Dweezilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading a few other posts on various forums and getting some feedback it seems likely that it's some sort of bacterial mat and it seems it is more prevalent after dosing silicates. I found a few others who posted photos that were definitely the same thing and each time they mentioned they dosed silicates recently. Hard to say if it's dangerous or not to fish (doesn't seem to be so far) but advice was to just siphon it out as it's found and most likely not that much of a problem.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 37 41.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 45 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back