Identify what I am dealing with on my sandbed

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, started noticing same reddish/brown algae growing on my sandbed. Seems to stay in the areas of the sandbed that get more light and lesser in the areas with lower light. When lights go out it looks like it reduces and then returns when lights get going the next day. Just wanted to confirm what I am dealing with being either diatoms, dinos, or cyano of some kind. All corals and fish seem to be doing fine.

Tank is 20 gallons and around 6 months old and the current levels are

Nitrate - 11
Phosphate - .15
Calcium - 450
Alk - 8.6
Mag - 1400
Salinity - 1.026

I do weekly 3-4 gallon water changes and these levels are at the tail end of the week before I do the next water change.

IMG_2647.jpeg IMG_2646.jpeg IMG_2645.jpeg IMG_2644.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks to me like dinoflagellates.
What is your nitrate and phosphate level?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nitrate - 11
Phosphate - .15
Calcium - 450
Alk - 8.6
Mag - 1400
Salinity - 1.026
With these readings, often dino will not develop but rather feed on these levels. Can you post pics under pure white light intensity?

OP
OP
B

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_2651.jpeg
    IMG_2651.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2650.jpeg
    IMG_2650.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2649.jpeg
    IMG_2649.jpeg
    246.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2648.jpeg
    IMG_2648.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 26

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the ugly stage! Sorry but it’s pretty much unavoidable. Just keep everything in check do your water changes eventually it will go away.
It is avoidable, but too late. Maybe slow it down a little, I see you already have corals. What do you have for live stock? A full tank shot is sometimes helpful. Keep up with husbandry, this too shall pass.

OP
OP
B

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is avoidable, but too late. Maybe slow it down a little, I see you already have corals. What do you have for live stock? A full tank shot is sometimes helpful. Keep up with husbandry, this too shall pass.
I just have two clown fish and a clean up crew of snails, hermits, conch and shrimp. I added corals once I felt like I could keep the parameters stable which has been about a month. Right now all I am doing is dosing 3ML a day of All for Reef and weekly 3-4 gallon water change and everything has been stable.

OP
OP
B

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a coral feeder i can lightly suck it away off the rocks and if I lightly blow on the rocks it comes loose.

Attachments

• IMG_2653.mp4
    4.2 MB

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have two clown fish and a clean up crew of snails, hermits, conch and shrimp. I added corals once I felt like I could keep the parameters stable which has been about a month. Right now all I am doing is dosing 3ML a day of All for Reef and weekly 3-4 gallon water change and everything has been stable.
I've never used it, but I would stop dosing the All for Reef stuff. Lighten up on your feeding and keep up the husbandry. I dosed some AB+ for a week and ended up with Cyano for a month (25 gal). Most of the time when you put snake oil in your tank, it backfires...

Bigger tanks have different requirements. I am not saying dosing is patently bad, but I wonder if you need it.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have never let nutrients get any where near 0, isn't that what brings dinos out?
Nah this past week I had a resurgence and at the same time I noticed my hair algae really slowed down a few days before I noticed it. Phosphates have been over .2 and nitrates over 20 for months. Perhaps the imbalance in the ratio between the two. I also did start all for reef a month ago and wondering if the trace elements in there helped them get a foothold again. Either way they are already on the way out as I started sodium silicate dosing about a week ago and the sand is clearer every day.

At this point I plan on dosing sodium silicate weekly to help keep my diatom levels up indefinitely.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used it, but I would stop dosing the All for Reef stuff. Lighten up on your feeding and keep up the husbandry. I dosed some AB+ for a week and ended up with Cyano for a month (25 gal). Most of the time when you put snake oil in your tank, it backfires...

Bigger tanks have different requirements. I am not saying dosing is patently bad, but I wonder if you need it.
All for Reef is a Calcium/Mag/Alk replacement with trace elements (basically a 2-part alternative). It is not a nutritive vitamins/amino acids product like Red Sea AB+.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back