Is this Cyanobacteria?

biodef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Been struggling with this for months now and nothing seems to fix it.
As per the photos it looks like Cyano, however I have done two lots of Dr Tims 2 week programs. Dropped the skimmer back to not run all the time.
It will buld up in the sandbed first and then slowly it will grow on the glass. I have done countless water changes an no luck either.

If I turn off the lights it will disappear, however my coral donesn't like it... It will be back after a vacuum the sandbed within 24 hours.
All water parameters are within the accaptbale level = Phospate, Nits, Salt level, Ammon etc.

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Been struggling with this for months now and nothing seems to fix it.
As per the photos it looks like Cyano, however I have done two lots of Dr Tims 2 week programs. Dropped the skimmer back to not run all the time.
It will buld up in the sandbed first and then slowly it will grow on the glass. I have done countless water changes an no luck either.

If I turn off the lights it will disappear, however my coral donesn't like it... It will be back after a vacuum the sandbed within 24 hours.
All water parameters are within the accaptbale level = Phospate, Nits, Salt level, Ammon etc.

HI Biodef - right you hit the nail on the head "no lights dissappears", more of a dino. Here's what you can do:

1. You have coral, you can lessen your lights but i would just kill the whites, run all blues.
2. Turn up the flow, enough for the water column to really circulate the water well.
3. Open the skimmer up, and run 24/7.
4. You mentioned Dr. Tims, i'm assuming waste away? Continue that. You want beneficial bacteria countering the bad.
5. Do NOT do any water changes - you're only feeding the problem.
6. Get on amazon a cheap 9w UV, just put in the display and run 24/7.
7. What's your cleanup crew? Get a conch, urchin, astereas, neseriths (spelling), something that turns the sand. If you dont have Pods, get some, they do a good job. Feed some phytofeast.

Could take up to 2 weeks, but if you say your parameters are stable and correct, then this will help for sure.

OP
OP
B

biodef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI Biodef - right you hit the nail on the head "no lights dissappears", more of a dino. Here's what you can do:

1. You have coral, you can lessen your lights but i would just kill the whites, run all blues.
2. Turn up the flow, enough for the water column to really circulate the water well.
3. Open the skimmer up, and run 24/7.
4. You mentioned Dr. Tims, i'm assuming waste away? Continue that. You want beneficial bacteria countering the bad.
5. Do NOT do any water changes - you're only feeding the problem.
6. Get on amazon a cheap 9w UV, just put in the display and run 24/7.
7. What's your cleanup crew? Get a conch, urchin, astereas, neseriths (spelling), something that turns the sand. If you dont have Pods, get some, they do a good job. Feed some phytofeast.

Could take up to 2 weeks, but if you say your parameters are stable and correct, then this will help for sure.
Ive used both Waste away and re-fresh in the two week cycles.
I have neseriths in the tank and hermit crabs.

Will get some Pods for sure.
Dr Tim was saying turn skimmer off for a few hours a day - so followed that
Purchased a 9w UV light today.

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used both Waste away and re-fresh in the two week cycles.
I have neseriths in the tank and hermit crabs.

Will get some Pods for sure.
Dr Tim was saying turn skimmer off for a few hours a day - so followed that
Purchased a 9w UV light today.
Ya that's so the beneficial bacteria doesnt get taken out by the skimmer. It's not that bad, so yea 2-4 hours off is good.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back