White Mound on Live Rock

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other oddballs. Just the normal fighting conch.
Possibly the easiest way to figure it out would be leaving a camera recording the tank for a while after lights out and for a while before the lights come on (or just leave it all night). That said, as I mentioned earlier, I'm leaning towards nudibranch eggs myself, but I don't think those came from a Chromodoris species (and not just because their egg ribbons are known for laying flat rather standing on one side).

For reference, the False Pyjama Nudibranch, Chromodoris annae, egg ribbons are pretty small and look like this:
1673484678975.png

OP
OP
kywill

kywill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly the easiest way to figure it out would be leaving a camera recording the tank for a while after lights out and for a while before the lights come on (or just leave it all night). That said, as I mentioned earlier, I'm leaning towards nudibranch eggs myself, but I don't think those came from a Chromodoris species (and not just because their egg ribbons are known for laying flat rather standing on one side).

For reference, the False Pyjama Nudibranch, Chromodoris annae, egg ribbons are pretty small and look like this:
1673484678975.png

Yes, definitely a good idea with camera. I will see what I can do. The eggs for the false pajama are now ruled out. These are much larger. Thanks!!

madmarks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance they are conch eggs? I have seen something similar in the ocean that was attributed to being conch eggs. The following picture is close to what I saw and what you seem to have.

1673556613385.png

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance they are conch eggs? I have seen something similar in the ocean that was attributed to being conch eggs. The following picture is close to what I saw and what you seem to have.

1673556613385.png
Most conch eggs look stringy comparatively (the conch in the photo is actually a Horse Conch - massive, predatory snail), but this does raise a good question: OP, do you have tulip snails in your tank? Because, the egg case in your pics reminds of their egg cases.

Edit: just to add, tulip snails are still large and predatory, but they're way smaller even at max size than the average horse conch (and some of them don't get too large, so they'd have a much easier time hiding out in a tank).

OP
OP
kywill

kywill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most conch eggs look stringy comparatively (the conch in the photo is actually a Horse Conch - massive, predatory snail), but this does raise a good question: OP, do you have tulip snails in your tank? Because, the egg case in your pics reminds of their egg cases.

Edit: just to add, tulip snails are still large and predatory, but they're way smaller even at max size than the average horse conch (and some of them don't get too large, so they'd have a much easier time hiding out in a tank).
You have solved it, banded tulip snail. I have 2, and maybe now I have more.

you have solved the mystery. Banded tulip snail - I have 2 and now I might have more. Thanks to everyone who helped!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back