White particles in water column

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, over the past few days I have started to see white particles in my display water column. Any idea what may be causing.

System is an innovative marine 20 gallon aio, has been cycled for about 4 months. This past weekend I added a new batch of live copepods as well as one 10ml dose of live phyto. I also started doing half doses Dr Tims Eco Balance about a month ago dosing once a week. I run filter floss on both return chambers and have the return pump dialed down to around 60% so I don’t see any micro bubbles coming through the return chamber.

Parameters are nitrates around 6, phosphate around .15 salinity 1.026.

Thanks for any help. IMG_2305.jpeg IMG_2306.jpeg IMG_2308.jpeg IMG_2309.jpeg IMG_2310.jpeg IMG_2311.jpeg IMG_2313.jpeg IMG_2314.jpeg IMG_2312.jpeg IMG_2315.jpeg IMG_2316.jpeg IMG_2317.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2303.mov
    17.6 MB
OP
OP
B

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be sand or precipitate… hard to say without knowing your alk and cal numbers and actually seeing a picture of it.
Just uploaded images of the particles I tried to upload a video but it would load for some reason. Alk and calcium are just being managed by salt mix and water change as I haven’t added any corals to the tank yet.

For flow I just have one mp10 set at around half power on lagoon mode and sand is special grade so it’s not very fine to try and reduce it from blowing around .

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just uploaded images of the particles I tried to upload a video but it would load for some reason. Alk and calcium are just being managed by salt mix and water change as I haven’t added any corals to the tank yet.

For flow I just have one mp10 set at around half power on lagoon mode and sand is special grade so it’s not very fine to try and reduce it from blowing around .
Id guess sand particles from those pictures and the tank being new.. precipitate and bacterial looks cloudy not larger particles like your pics show.

OP
OP
B

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id guess sand particles from those pictures and the tank being new.. precipitate and bacterial looks cloudy not larger particles like your pics show.

Might also be particles of bacteria or general detritus.

I don’t think it is sand blowing up because of the larger sand size I have in the tank. It’s hard to tell from the pictures but the tank does have a slight cloudiness to it since I have noticed this issue. I was thinking maybe the eco balance caused a bacteria bloom, not much info on eco balance so I can’t find much about what other people experience when they use it.

IMG_2324.jpeg IMG_2321.jpeg IMG_2318.jpeg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same sand and it still has dust and fine particles in it.. my diamond bar goby and wrasses kick it up all the time.. I use bacto balance and if it’s bacterial the tank is cloudy and hard to see through end to end.

OP
OP
B

brianfarm6767

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same sand and it still has dust and fine particles in it.. my diamond bar goby and wrasses kick it up all the time.. I use bacto balance and if it’s bacterial the tank is cloudy and hard to see through end to end.
If sand is the issue wouldn't filter floss be able to clear it up? I haven't disturbed the sand in weeks and don't have any fish or inverts that stir it up either at this point.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back