White patches popped up overnight on purple tang

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lymphocytosis? So these spots popped up overnight. They look fluffy. The purple tang is eating like normal. Everyone else in the tank is acting and appears normal.

300g peninsula
Running labs now for chemistry, but has been stable
He's been the bully of the tank.

0818211135b_HDR.jpg 0818211137.jpg

Last edited:

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lymphocytosis? So these spots popped up overnight. They look fluffy. The purple tang is eating like normal. Everyone else in the tank is acting and appears normal.

300g peninsula

@vetteguy53081

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

300g peninsula

That isn’t Lymphocytis - that won’t pop up overnight, and it is more often seen on the trailing edges of the fins. More likely, this is idiopathic mucus. I see this pop up on tangs fairly often. I’m not sure what causes it, probably some stress issue.
Are they on both sides of the fish?

Jay

OP
OP
tammieh

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn’t Lymphocytis - that won’t pop up overnight, and it is more often seen on the trailing edges of the fins. More likely, this is idiopathic mucus. I see this pop up on tangs fairly often. I’m not sure what causes it, probably some stress issue.
Are they on both sides of the fish?

Jay
Yes, both sides of the fish about the same location on both sides.

I was just thinking how good he was looking, then 2 days ago I scared him by having a towel on my head (fresh out of the shower). He literally turned his stress white and hid. Once I removed the towel, he came back out like nothing happened and ate like normal. He was normal yesterday, nice and dark coloration, out and about like normal.
Woke up to these white spots this morning. He's swimming about and eating like nothing is wrong.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, both sides of the fish about the same location on both sides.

I was just thinking how good he was looking, then 2 days ago I scared him by having a towel on my head (fresh out of the shower). He literally turned his stress white and hid. Once I removed the towel, he came back out like nothing happened and ate like normal. He was normal yesterday, nice and dark coloration, out and about like normal.
Woke up to these white spots this morning. He's swimming about and eating like nothing is wrong.
Take a look in the article section here for an article I wrote on fish mucus. I’m on my phone and can’t link it for you…..
Jay

OP
OP
tammieh

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look in the article section here for an article I wrote on fish mucus. I’m on my phone and can’t link it for you…..
Jay
I found it. Thank you! If only our fish realized how much we worry about them. Honestly, I worry about them much more than I ever worried about my own child. (Probably because I'm an NP and well-versed on human issues)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back