White Slime Algae in new tank

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just setup a 350 gallon display.

Currently there is only 12 bags of live sand and water in the tank.

Within a few days I started to get a kind of bacteria outbreak. I thought it was possibly from my existing tank as I transferred some pumps over to the new tank to help mix the salt into the water.

Within a few days I had big algae bloom and the water went milky white.

I added a UV sterilizer and inside of 24 hours the tank water was clear. However I started seeing a lot of white stringy snot like algae with bubbles start on the sand and on some of the pumps.

Anyone know how to get rid of this algae? I want to start moving my live rock and aquascaping but not if this will cause MORE issues.

Tank specs
12 20lb bags of caribsea live sand
350 gallons with Red Sea blue Bucket. At 1.026

No fish no Refugium just water and sand.

I’m thinking of dumping in a bottle of hydrogen peroxide to nuke it followed by my dr Tim’s bacteria to re-seed but was hoping there’s a better answer. I don’t want to waste almost 200 bucks in saltwater.

OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the tank looked like initially.

4c9ab798d193899c5f16571b63b12463.jpg

What it looks like now

1ad93be2b2a7012f08caee0e3595ba62.jpg

Tried for a closeup of the slimy algae

3aaa2b098788ac9df920dc58439e7aca.jpg

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a skimmer?
Is your rock truly live? If so put it in it will help fight off the bloom since it has beneficial bacteria currently on it. I wouldn’t nuke the tank or do anything.

OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not transferred my skimmer over to this new system yet. And yes my live rock is truly alive as a I have a fully functioning reef. In the same room.

I’m thinking of adding it and some dr Tim’s waste away but I’m not sure. I’d rather try something before I expose my rock to it.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go ahead and put your rock in and maybe add some doctor Tim’s, it’s probably just a bacterial bloom which is fairly common in new tanks, I had the same thing in my last reef and it went away on its own.

chinw76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple people had this problem before and they report using flat worm exit would kill it. It doesn't hurt to give it a try.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not transferred my skimmer over to this new system yet. And yes my live rock is truly alive as a I have a fully functioning reef. In the same room.

I’m thinking of adding it and some dr Tim’s waste away but I’m not sure. I’d rather try something before I expose my rock to it.

I did the same exact thing last year. Moved houses. Moved a 400g over to a 700g in 2 days. Filled with water, got temp and salt up as fast as I could. Brought over all the rock, over 40 fish, colonies of coral, and a ton of live rock. Not a single loss. Still good a year later

I had all new equipment, tanks, lights and all. Just make sure the salinity temp and flow are there and you’ll be fine.

23639bb7e721d9456d7deb3b6d276dca.jpg

OP
OP
Asonitez

Asonitez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not under pressure to move my stuff over. I just want to nip this crap before moving my rock over.

I’m honestly thinking of throwing in some bleach to Nuke it let the bleach evaporate off and do a few water changes lol.

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not under pressure to move my stuff over. I just want to nip this crap before moving my rock over.

I’m honestly thinking of throwing in some bleach to Nuke it let the bleach evaporate off and do a few water changes lol.

Never said you were, I was just giving a timeframe with mine. You’re overthinking this imo.

Definitely no need to put bleach into a tank and then move things over. Whatever bacteria it is will be gone as you move over your beneficial with the rock. If you’re that concerned drain part and take the old tank water. That way it’s just a big water change lol.

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue into the second month of a new build. It appears it was just part of a cycle. It went away in the 4th month entirely then cyano hit for 2 weeks, then gha. It took 6 months until the rock became "reef like" and now in month 9 everything is clear and the refugium has really taken off.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back