White spots on my Monti's

CrAzY_CrAcKeR

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 12, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Clinton Twp, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Iv'e been trying to figure out what is causing this problem in my tank. I noticed these white spots starting all over my monti's any help?
here is a pic of whats going on.

P1010434.jpg
 
Any chance kalk or alkalinity powder settled out on the coral?
 
I have a calcium reactor and I dose it with kalk but I've been lacking the kal for the last week or so. I oI never dosed with kalk before and i never had the problem. I did notice a diffrence in the tank when I did start doseing. I did just switch salts to get tanked salt but I don't think that is causing the problem. I have about 5 or 6 diffrent Monti's in the tank and they are all showing these signs.
 
What are your alk, calcium, and magnesium levels at? Do you see any nudibranchs on the montis?
 
I was going to start with nudis, too. Being so irregular, though seems a little different from what I remember. They always seemed to come from the bottom side, kill it, then move to the edges and move in. The easiest way to check for them if you've never seen them is at night with a flashlight and magnifying glass. White with pointy frills.

Any fishes potentially picking on it?
 
Not sure I've had all these fish in the tank for years.
I have the following fish:Sailfin tang, two black clowns, orage anthias, vlamingi tang, kole, Flameback angel, scooter blenny, a couple banggai cardinals, green chromis and a yellow wrasse.
I also have it on other monti's in the tank
P1010432.jpg
 
Last edited:
I think I might have found the problem. I was going through all my equipment checking everything. I found that my protein skimmer wasn't working right. So I took it apart and found this.
P1010439.jpg

I hope this is whats wrong with it... My return into the tank is a spray bar and seeing as how the monti's are all flat maybe some of the particles landed on them and caused this to happen. I'm not 100% sure that's what is happen but it's a start.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new