White wisps?

carbondave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies in advance for the lack of pictures, but these things are so thin they're really hard to capture. I have noticed for a few days some white wispy threads coming from various parts of my rockwork. At first I thought they were vermetid snails, but today upon closer inspection I noticed that the strands have multiple branches to them. A quick search suggested branching hydroids, but these don't look like the pictures I saw. Each thread and branch is no thicker than a hair and sways around quite a lot in the current. The main threads are about 4" long and the branches are about 2". It's almost spider web like. I removed probably about half a dozen, but I'm sure there are more.

Some additional info about my tank: mostly dry rock, added some TBS live rock to the DT and sump about 2 months ago. Tank has been mostly in the dark since as I didn't have any inhabitants and needed time to build the canopy for the lights. Turned on the lights on Sunday and added fish (2 clowns) and corals (shrooms, 2 zoas). Will run some tests for parameters and update.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies in advance for the lack of pictures, but these things are so thin they're really hard to capture. I have noticed for a few days some white wispy threads coming from various parts of my rockwork. At first I thought they were vermetid snails, but today upon closer inspection I noticed that the strands have multiple branches to them. A quick search suggested branching hydroids, but these don't look like the pictures I saw. Each thread and branch is no thicker than a hair and sways around quite a lot in the current. The main threads are about 4" long and the branches are about 2". It's almost spider web like. I removed probably about half a dozen, but I'm sure there are more.

Some additional info about my tank: mostly dry rock, added some TBS live rock to the DT and sump about 2 months ago. Tank has been mostly in the dark since as I didn't have any inhabitants and needed time to build the canopy for the lights. Turned on the lights on Sunday and added fish (2 clowns) and corals (shrooms, 2 zoas). Will run some tests for parameters and update.
Weird but hard to say without pictures, I'm guessing gyro day... or a very bad day for smile's.

Probably vermited but unsure., I have hydroids and they sound similar, sounds like you have some weird species, photos would sincerely help

good luck :)

OP
OP
carbondave

carbondave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the branches come off of both sides of the main thread, or just one side?

If just one side, I’d suggest looking up benthic ctenophores and seeing if that’s a match.
Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner! That's exactly what they look like. Now I admittedly only did a cursory search but I can't tell: friend or foe?

Also, since I tested parameters:
Salinity: 36 ppt (refractometer)
pH: 8.2 (Red Sea)
dkH: 6 (Red Sea)
Ammonia: 0 (Red Sea)
Nitrate: 2-5 (Red Sea)

I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals in RO/DI water reading a TDS of 0.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back