OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often do you need to change the dirt to fresh, and the best way of doing so. I've had my culture going at least a month. Maybe 6 weeks.
Depends on the size of the culture. When I start a new batch with fresh soil, I only add a little water to the for the first time. Overtime the soil will get soggier and wetter despite not adding water to the soil. The worms will be more interesting in escaping the container than eating.

Once you see that effect, wait over night so the worms will go to the top of the soil again (they hide when exposed to light).

Then you scoop the top layer to get as much worms to reseed the new culture. It’s fine if you add some of the old soil to the new container.

question nutritionally speaking if the Greek enough for reef fish?
First, I’m not a nutrition expert.

The fish are eating the worms, not the yogurt. And Greek yogurt is extremely high in protein and also has carbs and fat to it, as well as probiotics.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to the generosity of a member on here I was given a culture of white worms two months ago and it was doing great. I was harvesting worms from it each day to feed my stubborn copperband. About a week ago I noticed the worms wouldn't eat the food and were climbing up the sides, which I believe is a sign to split the culture. So I split the culture among two new containers and added new dirt to the original culture. Since splitting the culture I don’t see any interest in eating from any of the cultures. I can still see the worms moving in the dirt but they don’t come up and eat.
Do I just need to be more patient or is there something else I should try?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to the generosity of a member on here I was given a culture of white worms two months ago and it was doing great. I was harvesting worms from it each day to feed my stubborn copperband. About a week ago I noticed the worms wouldn't eat the food and were climbing up the sides, which I believe is a sign to split the culture. So I split the culture among two new containers and added new dirt to the original culture. Since splitting the culture I don’t see any interest in eating from any of the cultures. I can still see the worms moving in the dirt but they don’t come up and eat.
Do I just need to be more patient or is there something else I should try?
It’s normal. I get that same response as well. They will eventually start eating again.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here.

Just curious, what are you feeding them?
It’s a mix of dry food that I was given with the culture. I think I t’s blended up cheerios, cat food, and baby rice cereal. He said that was what he had the best luck with.
I had a culture a few years back that I fed wheat bread with full fat yogurt and yeast. They ate that well, but I haven’t tried it with this culture.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a mix of dry food that I was given with the culture. I think I t’s blended up cheerios, cat food, and baby rice cereal. He said that was what he had the best luck with.
I had a culture a few years back that I fed wheat bread with full fat yogurt and yeast. They ate that well, but I haven’t tried it with this culture.
Try changing the food. I changed mine and it seemed to be the kickstarter in getting them eating again. :)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try changing the food. I changed mine and it seemed to be the kickstarter in getting them eating again. :)
Some of the worms were starting to eat again from the original culture yesterday. I will try a different food one one of the splits once I make it to the store to pick up wheat bread and yogurt.

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to pass on my anecdotal findings.

Greek yogurt has been working great! But when I was shopping the store was out of greek, so I bought full fat regular...

My cultures seem to be multiplying even more! I have no idea if it is the yogurt or not, or some other variable, but I thought I'd pass on the info

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to pass on my anecdotal findings.

Greek yogurt has been working great! But when I was shopping the store was out of greek, so I bought full fat regular...

My cultures seem to be multiplying even more! I have no idea if it is the yogurt or not, or some other variable, but I thought I'd pass on the info
Thank you! I’m glad people are getting good results with the yogurt! That makes me so happy!

I also switched to full fat yogurt! Works the same for me! Has more fat but equal in protein and carbohydrates. I see that as a good thing. :)

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try full fat yogurt. I'm getting a used wine cooler so am hoping that ups my production. MY little garage fridge only goes up to 50-55 so still a bit too cold. They are surviving though.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big shout out to @Miami Reef for hooking me up with a starter culture for myself! I have been trying for months now to get a culture but every one else has failed me. Can't wait to start feeding my fish these little bundles of nutrition!

Thank you!!!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big shout out to @Miami Reef for hooking me up with a starter culture for myself! I have been trying for months now to get a culture but every one else has failed me. Can't wait to start feeding my fish these little bundles of nutrition!

Thank you!!!
Thank you so much for your kind words! :)

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been "raising" worms now for a while, and my cultures were OK but not great.

I finally got a wine cooler, and I have to say the difference is crazy. Even after a few hours at 55 degrees, the culture was taking off. Much better quantity AND quality. My fish are loving it. Yogurt has been working great too.

Suneru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you harvest the worms without getting a bunch of dirt? I have a huge culture but no clean way to extract worms.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back