White Worm Culture Show Off

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a small wine cooler for 100 bucks but might try that fridge first to save money

yeah you might as well give it a try. I don’t think they’ll die at that temp at least. An inkbird on the normal fridge isn’t a bad idea either.

in the meantime keep checking kijiji or Facebook marketplace or something for the wine coolers. I find people tend to hate these things and practically give them away sometimes lol. Got my first one for free which we turned into an incubator for our Snake eggs. Ended up getting a second larger one for $50 and that’s what I keep the worms in now. This was around 10 years ago though haha.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got my worms today. Too tired after a long day to try to separate dirt and worms, esp. as it was a good size bag so split what I got into 2 containers and added some greek yogurt. Containers have 1 vent hole in top so hope that works. They are in garage fridge so we'll see how they do.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got my worms today. Too tired after a long day to try to separate dirt and worms, esp. as it was a good size bag so split what I got into 2 containers and added some greek yogurt. Containers have 1 vent hole in top so hope that works. They are in garage fridge so we'll see how they do.
Good luck! Try to get temps a bit higher than the fridge for the future. :)

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! Try to get temps a bit higher than the fridge for the future. :)
If it doesn't work, I'll have to get a wine cooler. Wonder if I could just leave the door slightly open? But that would cost a lot more to run as the garage gets hot.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it doesn't work, I'll have to get a wine cooler. Wonder if I could just leave the door slightly open? But that would cost a lot more to run as the garage gets hot.
Do you have somewhere that reaches around 70F in your house? You can try putting one there and the other in the fridge.

Yesterday I put a small amount of whiteworms in the fridge and they completely went to “sleep”. As soon as I took them out and it got warmer they started wiggling. The worms will not reproduce nor eat well in the fridge. :)

50F-68F is ideal according to this care sheet: https://cflas.org/2014/07/19/white-worm-care-sheet/

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have somewhere that reaches around 70F in your house? You can try putting one there and the other in the fridge.

Yesterday I put a small amount of whiteworms in the fridge and they completely went to “sleep”. As soon as I took them out and it got warmer they started wiggling. The worms will not reproduce nor eat well in the fridge. :)

50F-68F is ideal according to this care sheet: https://cflas.org/2014/07/19/white-worm-care-sheet/
I live in central ca. House is always over 70. Even at night with doors open it is 70-74. They are at 50 right now. Prob. have to get a wine cooler... I'll check them after work today

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in central ca. House is always over 70. Even at night with doors open it is 70-74. They are at 50 right now. Prob. have to get a wine cooler... I'll check them after work today
I thought refrigerators were kept at 40F? If it’s at 50F I would give it a try and see how quick they grow for you. :)

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought refrigerators were kept at 40F? If it’s at 50F I would give it a try and see how quick they grow for you. :)
Normally yes but you can adjust most. This little cube which is ages old, is almost turned off and the warmest it goes if 50. I'll give it a go and hope it is not too cold.

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched a video on HumbleFish's site with Paul B - who feeds white worms. He keeps his in a plug in cooler. Those are almost expensive as a small wine cooler....but he also mentions that you could use ANY cooler and one of those ice packs - and just trade it out every couple of days. When my batch gets here....I may try the ice pack thing and see if it works.

Last edited:

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yogurt has been Working well for my worms so far.

Whats the best way to harvest them for the fish?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yogurt has been Working well for my worms so far.

Whats the best way to harvest them for the fish?
The worms will bundle up over each other. I use a plastic fork/spoon to scoop them up and dip the spoon in the tank.

Once your culture gets slightly more mature you will see this bundling up effect.

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worms will bundle up over each other. I use a plastic fork/spoon to scoop them up and dip the spoon in the tank.

Once your culture gets slightly more mature you will see this bundling up effect.
Ah cool. I have noticed this from time to time !

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my 3 cultures:

C727CAB3-E373-40C5-9208-8A0E8B8277BE.jpeg
0CC3BEFF-A8DC-4D4F-8CA8-88730E057110.jpeg
510B91E3-CF84-4369-9EA4-109E680A21DD.jpeg

Note: I recently transferred them to a new container with soil + I feed a lot of fish in my display + quarantine tanks at least twice a day!

I find 3 containers are more than enough for my needs, but I always the option scale up as needed.

What I’m trying to say is that white worms are an extremely sustainable and very healthy food source. It contains living probiotics and I can feed the pickiest of fish with it! I’m never worried that I will run out since it reproduces faster than I can feed.

Here’s the exact yogurt I use:

image.jpg
image.jpg

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my 3 cultures:

C727CAB3-E373-40C5-9208-8A0E8B8277BE.jpeg
0CC3BEFF-A8DC-4D4F-8CA8-88730E057110.jpeg
510B91E3-CF84-4369-9EA4-109E680A21DD.jpeg

Note: I recently transferred them to a new container with soil + I feed a lot of fish in my display + quarantine tanks at least twice a day!

I find 3 containers are more than enough for my needs, but I always the option scale up as needed.

What I’m trying to say is that white worms are an extremely sustainable and very healthy food source. It contains living probiotics and I can feed the pickiest of fish with it! I’m never worried that I will run out since it reproduces faster than I can feed.

Here’s the exact yogurt I use:

image.jpg
image.jpg
Is there a specific reasons for “low fat”? sorry if you have already answered this previously

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much and how often do you feed them? Once in a while the yogurt doesn’t all get eaten and gets nasty.
Also if I’m taking a week vacation is it enough to feed and leave them for the week?
thanks again!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a specific reasons for “low fat”? sorry if you have already answered this previously
It’s just whatever I eat, but I use whole fat if the other one is out of stock with the same results.
How much and how often do you feed them? Once in a while the yogurt doesn’t all get eaten and gets nasty.
Also if I’m taking a week vacation is it enough to feed and leave them for the week?
thanks again!
Change the yogurt after 3 days for best results. Changing is easy, open the worm container and the worms will bury into the dirt, leaving the yogurt free. It usually gets a little firm, so removing it is easy.

I think the worms will be fine with a week without fresh yogurt, but you can leave some bread just in case.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often do you need to change the dirt to fresh, and the best way of doing so. I've had my culture going at least a month. Maybe 6 weeks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back