Who else runs a Nadir controller system? Tunze wavemaker question

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The universe seems to be forever compelling me to get an Apex but I have resisted so far, finding it just as easy to use what I already have: Alexa-enabled Kasa smartstrips, Kessil spectral controller, Inkbirds for temp control, and the wave controller that comes with my Tunze wavemaker. I'm thinking of calling my mix-and-match controller system the Nadir because it's the anti-Apex ;)

Here's my real question:
So now I want to get a second Tunze wavemaker to put on the opposite end of a 6' tank. Would it work to set each individually on a wave pulse, where I time it so the waves alternate? Has anybody tried this? Will they go slightly out of sync so they have to be re-synced every day, every few days? I mean, it's not terrible if they go out of sync, but I'm just wondering if I can get by with my minimalist approach to controllers, just using what comes in the box, instead of buying extra cables and controller units and buying into the Apex universe or the other controller universes. I've researched them and don't like any of the current solutions on the market.

ETA: I know there are great threads on Alexa-controlled tanks. I was really just curious about people's experiences with manually syncing Tunze wavemakers but somehow I went on an anti-Apex rant because i couldn't help myself. Still burned from buying into the Aquacontroller III many years ago just before they made it obsolete.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will eventually get out of sinc but I think you can use the tunze y cable to sinc the pumps without much cost. @rvitko

Not sure about antisyncing them.

OP
OP
SteveG_inDC

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will eventually get out of sinc but I think you can use the tunze y cable to sinc the pumps without much cost. @rvitko

Not sure about antisyncing them.
Each pump comes with an individual controller. It looks like Tunze has not invested much in their multi-controller. It has outdated manuals and is not easy to use, according to reviews. And then it looks like it can only turn them on at the same time (sync), like you say, not anti-sync.

Galvano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To synchronize Tunze Nano-/Stream pumps
  • connect master and slave with a 5-pin MIDI/DIN cable with male connectors on both ends
  • on the slave pump click 'select' till the 'external control' LED lights up
  • finally press the master's 'food timer' button for 5 seconds to switch between parallel and inverse mode

OP
OP
SteveG_inDC

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To synchronize Tunze Nano-/Stream pumps
  • connect master and slave with a 5-pin MIDI/DIN cable with male connectors on both ends
  • on the slave pump click 'select' till the 'external control' LED lights up
  • finally press the master's 'food timer' button for 5 seconds to switch between parallel and inverse mode
Thanks. This is exactly the info I was looking for. Will give it a try.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back