Who has a LifeReef sump?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And can I see photos/what did you pay for it. I am trying to get ideas. My space is on the smaller side and after doing some research and looking at all types I feel a custom one will be best for me and my needs. I had a phone call with the owner and he was incredibly knowledgeable and I have heard amazing things so I really am looking forward to working with him.

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Lifereef sump. Picked it up used from someone local to me for $150, including the overflow box. I really don't have any complaints other than it's cramped for space in the cabinet under the tank. I am in the middle of planning to move it to a remote location in my lower level though to give it more space!

Attachments

• KIMG1400.JPG
    KIMG1400.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 44
  • KIMG1399.JPG
    KIMG1399.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 34
  • KIMG1401.JPG
    KIMG1401.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 30

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how much did it cost? Definitely seems more simple than the ones he has built. I’m so excited for mine and will definitely share photos when I get it.

I do not remember what the total was it is all standard product. Jeff has a price list on the website

decastrat1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got one from Jeff myself.

I have it installed in the basement with plenty of space. I didn't get all the "extras" that I could with it, but was mostly excited about the extra refugium.

Still working on cable management as I'm still trying to plumb everything.

All in with the product and shipping, total was around $1800. Again these were standard products from his list.

He did extra addins for me like the front whole for drainage and UV port in the back.

Attachments

• PXL_20231227_155334885.jpg
    PXL_20231227_155334885.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 35

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is mine when I first set it up. I spent quite a bit on it but this is for a 185. I also bought the refugium and a 30" skimmer. My wife's CRex photobombed lol. I'm happiest with this sump out of all the ones I've ran in the past. I started in saltwater in 92 so I've had a few sumps.
1703869045161.jpeg

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What dimensions are you planning as there are tons of options out there.
Really no bigger than 22x17 and interestingly enough I priced everything out for a mass manufactured one that fits in that space with all the equipment and it’s way more expensive as crazy as that is lol! A standard 5 or 10 gallon aquarium will be too small and a 20 gallon aquarium too big. A nano sump would fit but then the next size up for any of the mass manufactured ones are too big. Plus I really like that by getting it custom I can utilize all my space, choose the colors, and equipment to my liking.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not what you asked but if you don't need it to look all fancy its pretty easy to build one using a glass aquarium and super cheap compared to a custom acrylic sump. Just saying :winking-face:
I actually like the fancy ones but the glass aquariums will either be too small or too big for my needs. Since they are longer not wider.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one that I know. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I made my sump out of a storage bin, then I upgraded but haven't install that yet. The fish tank came with a mass produced sump and they all hold water, so far.:cool:

Give them your business and get what you want. It's good for the hobby and the economy and Hewbie approves, I asked him this morning while you were still asleep.;)

Homer Simpson Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Happy New Year. :cool:

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for a couple of years. Think all of his stuff is great. I like his sponge filtration to be much better than filter socks. Found them cheaper than the massed produced ones especially since he can customize to what you want including colors. Also, can include reactors etc. My refugium is a seperate piece in case I want to take it out. My only recommendation is to go smaller than you think as you may want room other equipment later on.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is mine when I first set it up. I spent quite a bit on it but this is for a 185. I also bought the refugium and a 30" skimmer. My wife's CRex photobombed lol. I'm happiest with this sump out of all the ones I've ran in the past. I started in saltwater in 92 so I've had a few sumps.
1703869045161.jpeg
HAHA I JUST NOTICED THE CAT! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And how much did it cost? Definitely seems more simple than the ones he has built. I’m so excited for mine and will definitely share photos when I get it.

Jeff lists prices on his portal. That is the base. If he has anything that is functional but has cosmetic / scratch (acrylic) then he lists those as well for a discount.

He has been doing acrylic work for a good long time now and doesn't make many changes to his products. They are functional. They work very well. They last a long time assuming the hobbyist takes care of it. I have a skimmer I purchased from him 22 years ago that I still use today. If you are looking for something custom then shoot him the dimensions and he will let you know the cost and lead time.

Not knowing your situation, which is none of my business, I would think you may be better off looking at buying used or a PetCo aqueon tank with sump conversion. I am not judging so apologies if it seemed like it. Just thinking it may save you some money if you are somewhat inclined and handy. Used is another option but make sure to do a leak check and know its history.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jeff lists prices on his portal. That is the base. If he has anything that is functional but has cosmetic / scratch (acrylic) then he lists those as well for a discount.

He has been doing acrylic work for a good long time now and doesn't make many changes to his products. They are functional. They work very well. They last a long time assuming the hobbyist takes care of it. I have a skimmer I purchased from him 22 years ago that I still use today. If you are looking for something custom then shoot him the dimensions and he will let you know the cost and lead time.

Not knowing your situation, which is none of my business, I would think you may be better off looking at buying used or a PetCo aqueon tank with sump conversion. I am not judging so apologies if it seemed like it. Just thinking it may save you some money if you are somewhat inclined and handy. Used is another option but make sure to do a leak check and know its history.
No not really and I do get that. I have seen the DIY versions and honestly have had a super bad experience with Aqueon so I will never be purchasing from them again.

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
I have a few pieces of his work. And currently am working with him on building me a custom acrylic tank, Sump, skimmer reactors, fuge and few other things. He is great his stuff is super user friendly and he does not believe in gadgets. That said he will add flow meters and let you use other pumps then what he sells, offers lights and other stuff at great prices as he is a vendor his prices are better then yours. Super knowledgeable on things. This build I'm wanting to specifically highlight lifereef this is why in my planning I reached out and asked if he could make the tank as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 104 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back