Who has better live rock tbs or kp aquatics

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which has better coralline algae growth and better looking rock in general? I’m not going to get corals for a while so pretty rock is important to me.

OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't feel safe doing that. My QT/observation period is a minimum of 30 days if I'm buying from a trusted vendor. Otherwise, it's 60 days minimum. I've personally spent thousands on my tank and livestock. I'm not putting something in my tank until I'm absolutely certain that it's not going to destroy all my hard work.

It's all down to your personal risk tolerance though. Lots of people go to the LFS, buy a fish or coral, and put it in their display tank that very same day. If that's more your style, then a hyposalinity dip is probably better than nothing.
Would a hypo salinity dip remove those parasitic isopods?

Upvote 0

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a hypo salinity dip remove those parasitic isopods?

Either way KP Aquatics recommends whether or not removal of Isopods are guaranteed "100%."

"(Optional Step) Undesired critters (we really don’t like the word unwanted pests as every creature has a purpose in life) can be removed by submerging the live rock into a salt mix of 1.035 to 1.040 (Specific gravity) for one minute, it should do the trick for mantis shrimp, crabs and worms to vacate the rock. Please turn the live rock in the bucket for the salty saltwater to penetrate everywhere in the live rock. Afterwards you can evaluate which crabs to keep and which ones to permanently remove. You can repeat this step 2 to 3 times during the curing process (before, during and after). It will help with keeping the unwanted critters under control obviously it doesn’t guarantee 100% success but it should get very close to it.

You have two options to cure the live rock: You can place into your designated curing container which can be a trash can etc. It should completely cover the rock. When you are setting up a new aquarium, you can also place into straight into the aquarium and turn on your filtration equipment like the tank is running (It will need to be cleaned more often in the beginning). We recommend to turn off the lighting for both options. Specific gravity of 1.023-1.025 with freshly mix aquarium salts is recommended.

Both options require water changes and daily testing of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. You also need to aerate the curing container option with a small powerhead and aeration pump which can be very helpful to keep the water moving and a high level of oxygen in the water . The powerheads and the pump in the aquarium are sufficient for this job."
Source - https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/premium-aquacultured-live-rock-airfreight-shipping/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way KP Aquatics recommends whether or not removal of Isopods are guaranteed "100%."

"(Optional Step) Undesired critters (we really don’t like the word unwanted pests as every creature has a purpose in life) can be removed by submerging the live rock into a salt mix of 1.035 to 1.040 (Specific gravity) for one minute, it should do the trick for mantis shrimp, crabs and worms to vacate the rock. Please turn the live rock in the bucket for the salty saltwater to penetrate everywhere in the live rock. Afterwards you can evaluate which crabs to keep and which ones to permanently remove. You can repeat this step 2 to 3 times during the curing process (before, during and after). It will help with keeping the unwanted critters under control obviously it doesn’t guarantee 100% success but it should get very close to it.

You have two options to cure the live rock: You can place into your designated curing container which can be a trash can etc. It should completely cover the rock. When you are setting up a new aquarium, you can also place into straight into the aquarium and turn on your filtration equipment like the tank is running (It will need to be cleaned more often in the beginning). We recommend to turn off the lighting for both options. Specific gravity of 1.023-1.025 with freshly mix aquarium salts is recommended.

Both options require water changes and daily testing of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. You also need to aerate the curing container option with a small powerhead and aeration pump which can be very helpful to keep the water moving and a high level of oxygen in the water . The powerheads and the pump in the aquarium are sufficient for this job."
Source - https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/premium-aquacultured-live-rock-airfreight-shipping/
Why would I need to clean the aquarium everyday?

Upvote 0

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would I need to clean the aquarium everyday?

"To clean" from unwanted biodiversity? I liked what the KP website author suggested "we really don’t like the word unwanted pests." Suppose pest are both micro as well macro.
To clean means apply/impose subjective/objective prejudice.
Balance your tank :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brian Berry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which has better coralline algae growth and better looking rock in general? I’m not going to get corals for a while so pretty rock is important to me.
I do not know about kp aquatics live rock but I have purchased fish from them. In my opinion a very good company and would definitely buy from them again.

Upvote 0

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wish we could get this stuff in canada or if they shipped to canada that would be awsome

Upvote 0

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both both in the past. lots of sponges and life on TBS but OMG the rock are so heavy like bowling balls.

I got KP for a 20L I was setting up IMHO better rocks not near as heavy/solid great color no sponges but I way OK with that.

I am thinking about a 10# box of KP to seed my new tank.

Upvote 0

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With TBS...you are guaranteed to get critters, cup coral etc.....my tank had never been better since adding a piece of live rock with cup coral.

Upvote 0

Brian Berry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there fish “conditioned/tank ready”
I bought a pair of mated blue neon gobies. I know they catch the fish themselves then pair for 10 days and ship out. Email then with any questions they will respond. From my experience a good group of people at KP Aquatics.

Upvote 0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 44 42.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 52 50.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.8%
Back