Who has dried out their starfish?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently in the process of drying Cookie out. I put him in some alcohol and I’m going to let him soak then stick him in the sun and spray with sealant. I hope I don’t stink up my entire house. I know it may be weird but I know I’m not the first or last person to do it. Who has dried out their starfish before? Experiences?

Last edited:

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently in the process of drying Cookie out. I put him in some alcohol and I’m going to let him soak then stick him in the sun and spray with sealant. I hope I don’t stink up my entire house. I know it may be weird but I know I’m not the first or last person to do it. Who has dried out their starfish before? Experiences?
Why are you doing this?

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I did this with my red linckia starfish after he passed. I had him for a little over a year. I just let Patrick dry on a shelf (actually, I sort of forgot about him for a while). Now he lives in the glass jar I keep filled with nori to put into clips.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've toyed with the idea of preserving and protecting him in epoxy resin.
I may turn him into a piece of art.
Let me know how it goes with soaking in alcohol? I hadn't thought about that.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did this with my red linckia starfish after he passed. I had him for a little over a year. I just let Patrick dry on a shelf (actually, I sort of forgot about him for a while). Now he lives in the glass jar I keep filled with nori to put into clips.
Can I see a photo?

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've toyed with the idea of preserving and protecting him in epoxy resin.
I may turn him into a piece of art.
Let me know how it goes with soaking in alcohol? I hadn't thought about that.
From all my research that’s how you dry them and kill off any bacteria or smells. I’m sure you could put him in resin to and he may keep his color if it is one that had just died.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see smaller one for sale at beach shops that still have their innards, all dried up. Bigger ones usually have their bottom side carved out.

I have a sizable sand dollar, about hand sized which was live for a while. I dried it in the sun, no smell at all.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
20230922_112449.jpg
20230922_112418.jpg
20230922_112422.jpg

melany1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by "put into clips"?

My chocolate chip is in the process of passing and preserving him had crossed my mind, but I think I'll give him a burial at sea next time I visit the beach. I'm really sad today.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What do you mean by "put into clips"?

My chocolate chip is in the process of passing and preserving him had crossed my mind, but I think I'll give him a burial at sea next time I visit the beach. I'm really sad today.
When I feed nori, I use these pouches. My favorite "clip" I've used, as none of my aggressive fish can rip it and it doesn't make a huge mess in the tank.

carly32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently drying mine out now!!! Just YouTube how to’s I also found 4 whole sand dollars and a ton of half sand dollars I also found some pretty cool shells so I’m gonna make a beach shadow box of my little beach treasures I found while on vacation!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back