Who here runs a tank with no filter socks or fleece roller?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious how many run no mechanical filtration other than a skimmer? I have a 180 gallon that I ran for over a year with a filter fleece roller. I decided to try a sock but remember why I hate them. I just pulled my sock out and am thinking of seeing what happens over the week with just my big skimmer.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious how many run no mechanical filtration other than a skimmer? I have a 180 gallon that I ran for over a year with a filter fleece roller. I decided to try a sock but remember why I hate them. I just pulled my sock out and am thinking of seeing what happens over the week with just my big skimmer.
I run my tank with no mechanical filtration or skimmer. Only biological filtration using rock, sand and macroalgae. I just took this pic today.
20240414_145946.jpg

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. So is your ( anyone) water clarity pretty good still?

With the fleece roller, it worked great!! Maybe too great. I pulled it because the clarisea fleece was back ordered and my nitrates were lower than I wanted.

I went with a sock holder and a 7” sock and the cleaning of it every 3 days is horrible but now it’s clogging every 1.5 days. But I do not have multiple socks.

I hear several guys moving to no mechanical filtration other than skimmer and I’m definitely interested.

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bowl with Jaubert filtration ( similar to undergravel filter) and nothing else.

Without any filtration you will have to embrace the idea of an ecosystem, having filter feeders, macro algae, sand sifting animals and others not so beautiful creatures in the sand.

Since you have your tank for over an year I would think you are in a better position to try different stuff.

I would get rid of the filter socks and keep only the skimmer - As long you learned during this time the amount of food needed and overfeeding is not an issue you control with socks.

The skimmer brings the benefit of aerating the water which is good IMO for your PH. I would keep for a later decision / evaluation.

20240310_121521.jpg

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bowl with Jaubert filtration ( similar to undergravel filter) and nothing else.

Without any filtration you will have to embrace the idea of an ecosystem, having filter feeders, macro algae, sand sifting animals and others not so beautiful creatures in the sand.

Since you have your tank for over an year I would think you are in a better position to try different stuff.

I would get rid of the filter socks and keep only the skimmer - As long you learned during this time the amount of food needed and overfeeding is not an issue you control with socks.

The skimmer brings the benefit of aerating the water which is good IMO for your PH. I would keep for a later decision / evaluation.

20240310_121521.jpg
Yeah, some of the rock is 3 years old now from my previous tank. The rest is over a year. The skimmer will stay. I run it 24/7. My ph average is 8.2. I also run an air stone in the sump.

I do not have bristle worms or such but I do have lots of other things… several conchs, serpent stars, tons of snails and etc.

I very recently got a avast plank feeder and spread my feedings out over the day. Hopefully this will benefit too. Now I’m not dumping everything in at once after work.
IMG_2617.jpeg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for any of that.. I run a skimmer and live rock only for filtration… my sump is set up for socks but it’s too much work so I leave them out.. I can honestly say I’ve never ran them in my 20 years of having tanks off and on.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for any of that.. I run a skimmer and live rock only for filtration… my sump is set up for socks but it’s too much work so I leave them out.. I can honestly say I’ve never ran them in my 20 years of having tanks off and on.
I’m liking that so many have positive feedback

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. So is your ( anyone) water clarity pretty good still?

With the fleece roller, it worked great!! Maybe too great. I pulled it because the clarisea fleece was back ordered and my nitrates were lower than I wanted.

I went with a sock holder and a 7” sock and the cleaning of it every 3 days is horrible but now it’s clogging every 1.5 days. But I do not have multiple socks.

I hear several guys moving to no mechanical filtration other than skimmer and I’m definitely interested.
The Triton method of Reefing employs a sockless/rollerless mantra using a Refugium (10% of the tank volume) and a skimmer as the only sources of filtration (other than the biological that is inherent in the sand/rocks). It's a pretty popular method, perhaps taking a gander at the methodology will help you in your decision making process.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I usually run cups with floss but I just switched out to 200 micron mesh socks and took the strainer off my bean animal drain pipe. Hoping to get some chunkier debris out of my tank faster.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Triton method of Reefing employs a sockless/rollerless mantra using a Refugium (10% of the tank volume) and a skimmer as the only sources of filtration (other than the biological that is inherent in the sand/rocks). It's a pretty popular method, perhaps taking a gander at the methodology will help you in your decision making process.
I actually use a trigger triton 44 sump. I modified it by removing an inner panel because I didn’t want a refugium and my skimmer wouldn’t fit the designated area.
IMG_0832.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 57 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back