Who is your purple tang 'friends' with?

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there - I think my purple tang is lonely :(

I recently put a magnifying glass on my tank and whenever I come up to the tank and look into it - 'she' (my wife assigned the gender, not I) occupies the magnifying glass - trying to get as close as possible. With others in the house she does not do this. Im the only feeder - so it appears to me that she recognizes me - which is a bit of a surprise to me.

Regardless, Im starting to feel bad since there are only 2xclowns and 1xPurple tang in the tank.

The tank is on the small side - @ 30Gallons. I have a 230 Gallon on the way (which is how I justified the purchase - given the small space). Any suggestions on a good pairing for a purple tang to keep her company over the next few months while I get the 230 setup? Are there species that purples will make friends with more often than others? She is on the aggressive side, and despises the clowns for the most part (who wouldnt).

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are like ppl... very finicky on who they like and don't like.

There is no formula saying put fish1 with fish2 as community buddies

One of 3 things happen with ANY added fish

1) they ignore the other fish, just seeing it as a living creature in their environment

2) they slightly become interested in each other as they search for food together

3) one of them sees the other as an enemy trespassing into their territory as a threat to their food resources in the territory. Flared extended fins is the #1 sign theyre enemies and might have a potential fight. sometimes they work.it out, other times the dominant fish with bully the submissive one into starvation

Hth

Aquajamin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses are the perfect mate for the purple tang. They don't feed the same and aren't after the same territory.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back