Adding yellow tang to new tank with purple

Tavo_mkv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys, so I just added my purple tang into my new reefer 525 and I totally had brain fog and forgot that I was suppose to wait till I order my biota yellow tang so that I can add them in at the same time. My question is how late is too late to add the yellow tang? Do I still have time to add it now or will the purple tang already be territorial? my purple tang is about 3 inches. Thanks in advance!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 inches is still quite young, it's possible you won't have any problem. If you want to be safe, when you add the yellow, leave him in a clear quarantine box in the display for a week or so and feed directly next to it so the tangs can become familiar with each other before you release the yellow. If the purple decides to attack after that, you'll want to catch him and put him in the box instead for a week or so to let the yellow establish territory so they can see each other as equals.

OP
OP
Tavo_mkv

Tavo_mkv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 inches is still quite young, it's possible you won't have any problem. If you want to be safe, when you add the yellow, leave him in a clear quarantine box in the display for a week or so and feed directly next to it so the tangs can become familiar with each other before you release the yellow. If the purple decides to attack after that, you'll want to catch him and put him in the box instead for a week or so to let the yellow establish territory so they can see each other as equals.
Good advice. I haven't ordered the yellow because I was hesitant, but it's one of the fish I would love to have. So I guess right now would be the best time to add the yellow right ?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice. I haven't ordered the yellow because I was hesitant, but it's one of the fish I would love to have. So I guess right now would be the best time to add the yellow right ?
the sooner the better. The more established and older the first tang is, the more likely it will be aggressive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back