Who keeps the hatching tank "Black"?

  • Thread starter Thread starter LatinKing
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Joined
Sep 27, 2012
Messages
954
Reaction score
230
Location
Spring Hill, NPR
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I hadspoken to a breeder and he stated that he keeps the hatching tank "AllBlack", starting from the night the eggs are to hatch until the fry’s arepast a week. He said that any light will make the fry's go to the bottom anddie.
How many peoplehere support this statement?
How many people here cover there tank completely?


Would like membershere post their comments and upload a picture of their hatching tank.
 
You haven't given enough information about what's in the hatching tank. For example, are you using greenwater? If so, what kinda of algae? I think the person you spoke with is correct, if you use too much light over the hatching tank the larvae will try to swim deeper and die. If you don't use enough light, the fish can't see what they're hunting for so there must be balance. My expereince does not indicate a full week of all black is necessary. I do "all black" for night 0 only.
 
I have all my hatching tanks permanently black and bottom white so I can see when I siphon all the gunk that accumulates on the bottom. I have dedicated hatching tanks so I used to bother cover them black and then remove the black, then I decided it was too much and just have something like 5 or 6 tanks dedicated for hatching and let them grow in the same hatching tanks for the first 20 to 30 days depending the availability.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new