Who makes the best PH probe?

EGorman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of Milwaukee’s pH probes are compatible with Apex. There’s a few that have the same style connection, but others that don’t. As far as which probe to get I’d head over to Milwaukee’s website and get a double junction lab grade probe. I believe these two below will work. Double check it before you buy.

TY will check these out

schwa6970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im surprised I havent seen anyone mention Bluelab. Ive had Milwaukee in the past and had trouble with drift.
The Bluelab double junction probes are a little more expensive but seem to hold their settings very well. Ill be using a Bluelab ph controller when I set up my Calcium reactor. While the are geared towards the plant growing crowd they work very well for reefkeeping

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which brand can work with neptune apex, that is reliable?

FWIW, any pH probe with the proper connector to connect to the device can work with any meter. BNC connectors are standard, but a few devices may not use them.

OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard plenty of terrible things about the BRS probes that they are extremely inaccurate, hard to calibrate and won’t hold calibration
I am not a fan of brs, mainly because of their actions and influence over the hobby the past 3 years. They send people chasing their tails over new gear and methods. The brs360 thing was sad and predictable.

that said, i’ve had good luck with their single junction probes. The two showing a normal pH curve are a year old and both calibrated 6 months ago with 7&10 solutions. The probe [spear] is my diy auto alk tester and it’s calibrated to 4.00&7.00 pH. It’s always read ~0.15 higher than the other probes due to the calibration range.

I’ll never buy another neptune pH probe. They’re junk. The KCL reference gel depletes quickly and they average 14 months before becoming inaccurate/ wont hold calibration.

Attachments

• 944AB8C4-2908-42D4-B2D7-F386AE736256.png
    944AB8C4-2908-42D4-B2D7-F386AE736256.png
    327 KB · Views: 46

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very interesting on the how to here. I agree with you on what does that guy means. For me the how to is impractical for the hobbyist. Still a nice to know, if one does not have an alk. test kit. kept the link for myself.
I don't know that it's impractical. It's how I measured Alk until quite recently when I purchased an automated device that does the same thing - now I save myself 5 minutes a day :)

And spend 20 mins once a month making DIY titration solution for the auto jigger rather than getting gouged for the OEM version. lol.

OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know that it's impractical. It's how I measured Alk until quite recently when I purchased an automated device that does the same thing - now I save myself 5 minutes a day :)

And spend 20 mins once a month making DIY titration solution for the auto jigger rather than getting gouged for the OEM version. lol.
It’s so much cheaper making DIY reagent, the OEM is almost always 3X more for some reason, witch one are you using for your automatic titration? Witch brand ph probe?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s so much cheaper making DIY reagent, the OEM is almost always 3X more for some reason, witch one are you using for your automatic titration? Witch brand ph probe?
I'm using a reeffactory kh keeper and diluting Hanna 0.1N HCl down to 0.02N which is what it uses.

The pH probe supplied with the unit seems to be of reasonable quality, but when it needs replacing I'll use a Milwaukee SE220 which I use with other pH devices.

OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm using a reeffactory kh keeper and diluting Hanna 0.1N HCl down to 0.02N which is what it uses.

The pH probe supplied with the unit seems to be of reasonable quality, but when it needs replacing I'll use a Milwaukee SE220 which I use with other pH devices.
I almost got one of those but because of the war with Russia I couldn’t, I ended up getting the xepta, I still haven’t figured out exactly what strength acid it uses but I believe it’s close to what the reef factory kh keeper uses, the xepta that I got came with the Milwaukee se220 and it seems good so far, calibrated fast and seems to hold the calibration good so far

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to find a accurate and reliable ph probe that is NOT from Neptune, BRS or GHL but I can’t seem to find much about them online, when I search for it all that pops up is what the best ph meters are, but I’m specifically asking about a ph probe with the BNC connector on it

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An electrode that I have been using for the past few years is sold by Cole Parmer. It is catalog number U-59001-70. It has an epoxy body, is sealed, and has a double junction. I’m not certain what type of reference electrode it contains, but I believe it to be Ag/AgCl. Its list price is $60.
Yes, the description on that page says "Ag/AgCl combination reference electrode". But the list price has gone almost double of what you referred to...
I have one of those "industrial" pH probes that come in a larger body (supposedly meaning there is more electrolyte there that will take longer to get contaminated/diluted), but I believe it is Taiwan-made. The brand is HaoShi and it seems to be highly valued on the Chinese market. I wonder if it would be good for continuous use in a CaRX reactor?
IMG_7304.jpg

Another question is the probe orientation. In the description to an industrial pH probe in a similar body ColeParmer states that the orientation must be at least 5 degrees to the horizontal position. I wonder why this limitation? I was planning to install a Tee in the vertical pipe coming out from the pump, and put the probe in the threaded side entry - but that would place the probe horizontally. Of course, I can add angles in order to turn the Tee by 90 degrees, but it would make the whole setup larger and uglier, and will create extra hindrances to the water flow.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 29 25.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 56 50.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 16.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back