Who still carbon doses?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TLO45
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TLO45

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 15, 2014
Messages
298
Reaction score
224
Location
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested in who still carbon doses and what are you using for a carbon source… vodka, vinegar or manufactured?
I have a large reef tank with a lot of large fish that require a lot of food which of course causes a lot of waste. I’d like to find a method of nitrate and phosphate control that is easy to administer without using gfo ect to control nutrients.
 
I went away carbon dosing as my system didn't like it. My buddies and I went to denitrators recently and the tank has responded much better. All of us have heavy fish loads and I wanted the ability to feed even more without spiking my nitrates. Keep in mind carbon dosing isn't really for phosphate control as much as it's for Nitrate control. For phosphates, I hated GFO, so I went to lanthanum now and I like that control it gives. Highly recommend it, but make sure you dose into a protein skimmer as I found it's the best for contact time and extracting it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new