Here is updated picture of the tank
2012-05-01_12-30-13_94.jpg

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Ecoxotic LED Module (8000K/453nm Blue) strips. The original compact lights are still in the hood. Here is a picture of one imounted under the opening lip towards the front of the tanks. IMAG0334.jpg IMAG0336.jpg
No wonder your experience with LEDs has been bad! Have you tried a higher quality system, with Reds, violets, greens, cool blues, cyans, Neutral Whites, and Royal Blues? 3 watt LEDs? 1watt LED strips with 8k Cool Whites, which are severely lacking in their spectral curve, will obviously provide you with bad results, LED enthusiasts have known that for over 2 years now. That does not mean all LEDs are bad, you basically tried the worst of LEDs, and assumed that they all cannot grow sps.

dennis5546

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my LEDs are 2 years old and they did maintain the RBTA, clam, and Birdsnest seen in the picture above. At the time they where being advertised as great additional lightingso I put my foot into the water and tried the LED on a small tank in the office. If you read the post from SkinZ why does he feel his clam needs to be located 8 inch high in a 24inch tank. My clam sit at the bottom of a 150 tall tank with no issues with Halides.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my LEDs are 2 years old and they did maintain the RBTA, clam, and Birdsnest seen in the picture above. At the time they where being advertised as great additional lightingso I put my foot into the water and tried the LED on a small tank in the office. If you read the post from SkinZ why does he feel his clam needs to be located 8 inch high in a 24inch tank. My clam sit at the bottom of a 150 tall tank with no issues with Halides.
Dennis, I have 2 large, happy, and rapidly growing clams 24" down in my reef tank, with great coloration. LEDs can grow any kind of coral, it has been proven for years. Try a better fixture, and you will see better results. Just because your accent lights were advertised as good, doesn't mean they are good for supporting more than a few mushrooms. There are several "reef capable" fixtures using low quality 1watt LEDs that initially gave the industry a pretty bad name. But like I said, not all LEDs are bad, and they are certainly not all equal in output.

Last edited:

dennis5546

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure LEDs have come a long way from 2 years ago, but in another 3 years I hope to see additional improvements in LEDs along with affordability. What’s your take on the Biocubes with LEDs already built in? Are those high quality LEDS. I’m old school being 47 years old. I still like plasma TVs over LED TVs.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure LEDs have come a long way from 2 years ago, but in another 3 years I hope to see additional improvements in LEDs along with affordability. What’s your take on the Biocubes with LEDs already built in? Are those high quality LEDS. I’m old school being 47 years old. I still like plasma TVs over LED TVs.
Biocube LEDs are basically moonlights, 3 1watt LEDs per bar. In 3 years, mh will likely be phased out completely. IMO, LEDs are already there, at twice the efficiency, with equal or better colors than mh. Some people disagree, but my experience with LEDs has been great, and I have never considered switching back.

WesF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH will never be phased out completely.

If that were true we wouldn't be able to buy PC, CF, or VHO bulbs right now.

They still have a way to go before they can achieve the same overall coral health and growth that is easily achieved w/ mh.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fishinizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol those aren't LEDs those are 1 what moonlights for coloration and night time why do you think the bio cube still had compacts they oviously weren't ment foe more than that. No offense but I think your rong . Yes they have a long way to go but there prity much there and as affordability goes reef breeders are the cheapest out there and high quality IMO . Just waiting until there new lights come out I'm in no rush and I blew off most of my saved cash lol. By the way this thread isn't for nocking really especially if its another brand of light it's to see what they could do and help people see if its for them or not.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH will never be phased out completely.

If that were true we wouldn't be able to buy PC, CF, or VHO bulbs right now.

They still have a way to go before they can achieve the same overall coral health and growth that is easily achieved w/ mh.
Yes, they can still be bought. But do you still recommend PC, CF, or VHO bulbs to people starting a new tank? Would you use them over mh, T-5, or LEDs? I would consider that pretty much phased out.

WesF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the use. There are still quite a few reefers clinging to the VHO super actinic bulb because there isn't a good T5 equivalent.

OP
OP
F

Fishinizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People still will buy them because not everyone will upgrade but like t8s or regular t5 you will have to special order bulbs and stuff the same things going on know.i don't get why use are nocking on LEDs so much the old way isn't always better.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the use. There are still quite a few reefers clinging to the VHO super actinic bulb because there isn't a good T5 equivalent.
Their spectrum can be easily replicated with LEDs, without the unwanted spike in the greens. There will always be a few people clinging to old tech, however it is still phased out in general.

WesF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their spectrum can be easily replicated with LEDs, without the unwanted spike in the greens. There will always be a few people clinging to old tech, however it is still phased out in general.

If it is so easily replicated we would not see so many people selling their radions, AI, etc. and going back to T5 and MH.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is so easily replicated we would not see so many people selling their radions, AI, etc. and going back to T5 and MH.
Because they lack the 420nm peak that is in the VHO bulbs, and in 420nm LEDs. They also lack a mixture of warm white and cool white diodes, or neutral white diodes, which have a much wider and larger spectral curve than the cool white LEDs used in the fixtures you mentioned. If you hit the spectrum right, you will have good results, certain wavelengths will cause chromoproteins in coral tissues to emit different colors, and since so many colors are so much more prevalent in neutral whites, coral coloration will also be better. Not to mention the deep reds, violets, cool blues, royal blues, and greens that can play pivotal roles in coral coloration, and growth. I made a pretty useful chart that lists some of the proteins, known or unknown, and what they do.

Type of Chlorophyll/ProteinColor AbsorbedColor EmittedNotes
Chlorophyll a428/662Green
Chlorophyll C2448/634Light Green
Peridinin475nmBrick Red
Neo Peridinin465nmPale Yellow
Dinoxanthin418/441/469Yellow
DiaDinoxanthin425/427/447Yellow
Beta Carotene428/448/475Orange
ChromoProteins560-593nmpink
Green Proteins500nm515nm
Cyan Proteins425nm490nm
Orange Protein450nm490nm
Red Protein572nm590nm
ChromRed Protein574nm609nm
Violet Protein310-380nm410-470nmFound only in deepwater corals
Blue Protein380-470nm475-520nm
Yellow Protein440-500nm520-620nmVery Rare
Red/OJ Protein500-540nm590-630nmPoccilipora

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fishinizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we honestly don't care about how you think they don't work. This thread is about posting pictures of how rb lights can grow coral and they oviously can if you don't like them than have fun. Oviously some people don't want the fuss of adapting the coral slowly and see no polyp extension panic and change back but also why is there so many hailides and t5 VHS fixtures for sale. Like t8s there going out of style the majority of the hobby is moving on and trying to work on the LEDs and get them perfect so we pay less for eletric and all the advantages they give instead of just trying to put it down becous your oblivious for something new metal highlides had to develop when corals first started the first metal highlides used to grow corals at the aquarium were street lamps so of you don't know anything just shut up.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we honestly don't care about how you think they don't work. This thread is about posting pictures of how rb lights can grow coral and they oviously can if you don't like them than have fun. Oviously some people don't want the fuss of adapting the coral slowly and see no polyp extension panic and change back but also why is there so many hailides and t5 VHS fixtures for sale. Like t8s there going out of style the majority of the hobby is moving on and trying to work on the LEDs and get them perfect so we pay less for eletric and all the advantages they give instead of just trying to put it down becous your oblivious for something new metal highlides had to develop when corals first started the first metal highlides used to grow corals at the aquarium were street lamps so of you don't know anything just shut up.
Please be civil, and stick to scientific evidence and personal experience.

dennis5546

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not knocking LEDs. I wish everyone best of luck with the LEDs or your lighting of choice. I was just providing unbiased feedback on my experience on LED lighting. I jumped on the LED band wagon to early and didn’t get good results. We are all trying our best to grow a healthy Reef, that we can be proud to show off and watch. I have met fellow reefer who have bought LED lighting for his 300 gallon display tank. I won’t mention the LED brand name so I don’t hurt any feelings but they were not Reef Breeders LEDs. He invested over $2000 with not so good results. Needless to say he went back to three 400watt Halides and life is now good. He did end up reselling the LEDs for half the purchase price. Now there could be the issue of acclimating the SPS colonies to the new LEDs which caused issues with his SPS. I apologize for getting this thread off subject. I believe if its working don’t mess with it.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just posted the clam shot to show new growth. If you look at the fts you'll see on the left front corner there is a maxima clam sitting where par would be the lowest. The prices is just above the maxima. They are where they are because I put them there and they stayed, with no reaching for light. I tried to move the maxima but it has attached to the bottom glass. My sps is fairly new, I had a dinoflaggelate crash and I'm rebuilding now

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 125 75.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back