Whose mans are these? ID please on some interesting hitchhikers

W0terMoist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled this rock out a shaded area of my tank so I'm guessing they are filter feeders. A couple are extended and look like they are soft bodied.

20240325_191728.jpg 20240325_193254.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an octocoral to me:
an invasive octocoral - each polyp has 8 limbs branching off in a radially symmetric pattern.

I'd suggest treating it like invasive clove polyps.
They're an invasive octocoral (soft coral) - some that can look like this include Clove Polyps, Sympodium, Sarcothelia, or Anthelia (I don't know how to tell them apart at this point, unfortunately).
The only solutions I've heard for blue clove polyps aren't reef safe (they might kill off other things in the tank), but the most common treatment I've heard is Fenbendazole. Someone else used Lugol's Iodine, but they also lost some corals from that. Some people say kalk paste or super glue may work, but I haven't seen many people reporting success with it. The links below may help:
Not sure how to help with removing the mushrooms and palys though.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to Reef2Reef!
I can't find the post, but I recently read someone saying they had a particularly invasive brown strain of clove polyps that survived the fenbendazole treatment too.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back