Why are lionfish so disliked?

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we took hobbyists out of the equation, do I think the volitans/miles would still be a problem.... yes.

Without a doubt! The vast majority of lionfish seen in the Caribbean now are the offspring of individuals introduced years ago. The population is self sustaining. The one best hope is large groupers, sharks, eels figure out how to prey on them.

I recall seeing a video last year of a large grouper who figured it out. Was impressive to watch the strategy the grouper used to pull it off. Hopefully other groupers pick up on it.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignorance.... the gift that keeps on giving. This is a quote from a thread where a person is wondering how to feed their Dendrochirus brachypterus.... the Dwarf Fuzzy Lionfish. If this is something that the peanut gallery is so passionate about, how come they don't even know what lion we are talking about? If you care enough about the destruction of the invasion, help by educating yourself. When someone gives an uneducated and unresearched response, we know you're not really "into the plight" or you would have done more reading. It's alright not to know anything about lions, I don't know anything about Tangs..... but then I don't go around pretending I do. I don't think the community is aware of the frowns us lionfish owners get and how many unnecessary and unhelpful comments are thrown around.

"Lion-fish are indiscriminate predators that consume more than 70 species of fish and many invertebrate species such as shrimp and crab" (http://www.oceansupport.org/lionfish-information)

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People need to do research before spouting off about anything. There is hardly ever one concrete answer about how or why, just that it is and it has to be the worst possible reason.

I try not toget caught up in the debate. Lions are some of the best fish to keep in our tanks, though not for everyone or every tank. They are personable, challenging, fun, and diverse. Try one in your tank, you might like it!

E048

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was pointing out that the lionfish need diversity in their diet as they do in nature I am also aware that the invasive lionfish species is the red lionfish I know what I'm talking about just fyi

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was pointing out that the lionfish need diversity in their diet as they do in nature I am also aware that the invasive lionfish species is the red lionfish I know what I'm talking about just fyi

This
is the appropriate thread for that link. Not the other. Your link doesn't help feed a fuzzy lion in someone's tank, does it? That's what the topic was about and posting a link about how the volitans eats "everything" helps her how? Think about that. I'm not trying to be a putz.

Great link. Wrong discussion.

CONSPICILLUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lionfish Lair, you are my hero of the moment for being a rational and reasonable human with an informed perspective that isn't overreactive hype and ignorant biased rhetoric.

Subscribing because of your thread contributions as a rare and productive member of the human race. LOL.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look on Netflix there is a series with Jeff Corwin and one of them actually goes in depth on this topic. There is also a bubbles guppies episode that does as well lol. BTW if you have children I highly recommend bubble guppies. It's the only show for that age range that I can get into and it is very accurate for a show geared towards toddlers:)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back