Why are local forums/clubs struggling?

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As unpopular of an opinion as it may be, I feel R2R and that other site, are very much indirectly responsible for the downfall of local reef clubs. Not that it is a bad thing, to be honest. 10 years ago, there was very little reef information on the internet, you had one major site, but if you wanted information or to learn, most people were willing to drive that 30-45-1hr to go to meetings. Now honestly, what is the point?

Unless you live in a dense metro area with a bunch of reefers all withing 30 minutes of each other (So Cal guys come to mind), it is WAY easier and more convenient to do all of your business on R2R and places like it. Yes I understand there are benefits to face to face interactions that you will never get from an internet site, but as you just stroll through this thread and see all of the reasons people don't get involved in their "local" clubs, it's very telling and honestly hard to blame folks. My "local" clubs is 45 mins away for the closest meeting and 2 hours for the furthest. If I lived in ATL, Tally, Jax...etc I'm sure it would be different, but I don't, so for me it's honestly not worth the time/effort/expense...etc.

I have mentioned this before, but it's worth bringing up in this thread. The internet today is not like the internet of 5 or 10 years ago. I've been playing WoW since Vanilla (14? years now). I literally have friends from Texas who we went to Disney with last year, whom I had never met before, but had known for YEARS longer than many of my local friends. It's just a different time and unless you're in a major area AND have good people in your club, I don't see how local clubs can survive.

Don't underestimate Atlanta traffic lol! My travel time was generally at least an hour.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

As of the moment I am not aware of any local clubs here in Boise, but if there are they are quite. As some know me and as I stated prior, some people such as myself are extremely shy. Not to mention, lol that most of the time when I seek help locally, most think I’m the wife or gf of one who has a tank.

One of the nice things here, is there are quite a few more females on here. But local clubs, can be a tad bit more intimidating when lol your one of the few females. I have spoken to several amazing people on here, and the nice part is, with out this forum I never would have known they were in the hobby yet alone become friends.

One example is I have to attend monthly seminars for work, where it is male dominated as well. Yet, and this includes myself just as much, I notice that most of the females stay quite. Now I’m certain it’s not always that way etc but for some people male or female in person can be scary for whatever reasons they have. Not to mention local clubs are bond to be similar to (well politics) you will make some happy and others very upset. Is this all the time, not sure haven’t been in a local club. But the ones I am required to be in for work purposes, doesn’t matter what some do, it will either make people happy or upset. I think an important question would be what’s a good middle ground for majority of those who are in the club.

Another nice aspect of this forum is, the darling little ignore button. For those individuals who seem to not get along, they can still enjoy this wonderful place by a click of well (or say the presence of a finger on a touch screen). (Still have yet to find that feature but) this being my only social media I’m glad it’s not Facebook related or linked etc; because I probably would have shyed away from it. As everyone is different what they feel or needs to be known (no wrong answer really) but some jobs actually frown upon having Facebook, tweeter or whatever it is, etc. Plus this forum brings not just local people together, but basically the world as long as they have internet.

To me this is an amazing learning tool, it’s fun but has tons of info. Plus for those like myself it helps us be more social, since it will help make us more comfortable to be open and par take in things.

Sincerely
Sarah

Scott Campbell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or for instance if someone has an algae problem people will say to change the water, don't change the water, shut the lights, add more light, feed less, don't feed, add hydrogen peroxide, raise the temperature, lower the temperature, use stump remover, change the bulbs add manatees etc.

A manatee would absolutely solve a nuisance algae problem. And any issues with musk grass, pickerel weed, turtle grass, mangrove leaves, acorns, floating hyacinth, alligator weed and sea clover.

I think we have your next controversial thread topic. Ordering a manatee on Ebay right now per your advice. :)

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our club has been meeting on the 3rd Friday of each month since 1984. Kind of past the point of changing it
No offense to gcarroll, but this mentality plays a part for sure.

Why not consult newer members who want to come for an alternate day/time, and try it once or twice? If it fails to encourage new members to come, go back to the old day and time... but how hard is it to send an email to your members? Ask for feedback, start a poll on the local forum, if your in a leadership role a survey could be created through surveymonkey could be helpful as well.
My local club has meetings Wednesday night at 7pm.
I work 7am to 6pm and drive past the meeting on my way home, but after a long day and having to be at work the next day... I've never gone in 6 years because of the time slot.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My area has had a club for a long time. I became part of it years ago, but fell out with the management of it. When I started my non-profit, we tried to get hobbyist involvement through meetings and raffles and such. We have had two frag swaps with profits going towards the kids programs.

However, with the non-profit's side, we just could not get people active. We stopped the forum because no one posted. We have a facebook, but no one posts. Honestly, I have tried to get hobbyists involved, but running the educational side of the non-profit leaves me no time to run the hobbyist side.

We seem to have lack of desire to maintain these member ideas. We can get it started, but it will peter out within months. Lots of people will say they want to be part of it, but no-one wants to do the work involved.

I am not bashing anyone. We all have commitments with family, work, hobbies, etc. It is just easier to go online and find solutions. After all, if you look hard enough someone will always agree with what you want to do.

Okay, that was a bit snide.

Personally, I loved going to other people's home and seeing what they run and gabbing with my peoples. I always welcome hobbyists to my home too. :) You have to deal with crazy dogs though.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense to gcarroll, but this mentality plays a part for sure.

Why not consult newer members who want to come for an alternate day/time, and try it once or twice? If it fails to encourage new members to come, go back to the old day and time... but how hard is it to send an email to your members? Ask for feedback, start a poll on the local forum, if your in a leadership role a survey could be created through surveymonkey could be helpful as well.
My local club has meetings Wednesday night at 7pm.
I work 7am to 6pm and drive past the meeting on my way home, but after a long day and having to be at work the next day... I've never gone in 6 years because of the time slot.
None taken. I understand where you are coming from. I am spoiled though. We have so many that are willing to make that sacrifice each month. The advantage of having a set schedule is there is never a question as to when the meeting is. Everyone knows and can plan accordingly. Heck I can even tell you our entire club meeting schedule for next year. As I have read, that isn't the case for many clubs. Sometimes stability is vital to a thriving club.

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat in another organization I am in. I am a life member of the Veterans of Foriegn Wars, and we have barley enough people to keep it going. Unfortunately, the majority of the people who come to the meetings are in their 70s and 80s. I am 41 and the youngest member by about a decade or so. We have zero members in their 20s and 30s, and when we try and recruit we are always told they dont have time. We have an annual membership cost of $45, or you can pay a one time life membership fee. Once the younger folks find out there is a membership fee, they want nothing to do with it. I have a bad feeling that once the old timers pass on its another organization that will go by the wayside. It's a different time and everybody wants to do everything on thier phones/tablets from the comfort of their homes. We have tried and tried numerous ways to entice people to come to meeting and events and it never works. Unfortunately, I dont have an answer to the underlying issue...

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A manatee would absolutely solve a nuisance algae problem. And any issues with musk grass, pickerel weed, turtle grass, mangrove leaves, acorns, floating hyacinth, alligator weed and sea clover.

I think we have your next controversial thread topic. Ordering a manatee on Ebay right now per your advice. :)

The manatees are cheap, but the plastic bags cost a fortune. :eek:

Nate77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been tossing around the idea of joing one , but for me is I don't mind meeting someone 1 on 1 , don't really like to meet a swarm of people at once , was never really a people person.
I also work a weird schedule, and really don't want to drive 1+ hours for a meeting.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been an on & off member of fish clubs since I was about ten. These days, there are three I've an interest in. One is local, and has regular meetings - but it's 99% freshwater. Great folks, and they even run an annual show and another annual auction ... of freshwater stuff.

Club #2 is statewide, and has regular meets ... on the other end of the state. Can't blame them - they run a tank at the location, in exchange for free/reduced costs for a meeting space. They're on weekends, but these days I don't get days off. Two jobs, or it all goes south. The membership fee there is worth it though, as I can save more than that in an average purchase at the local sponsoring LFS.

Club #3 is local, reef-oriented, and filled with terrific guys ... but meets sporadically, a few times a year, at members' homes. Have enjoyed every one I've been able to attend.

Growing up in the hobby, there were books - good info, though sometimes dated (Innes & Axelrod, anyone?) and there were LFS, and there were fish clubs - those were the only sources of information. Now, there's also R2R ... and look where I am every night . . .

~Bruce

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of true and applicable reasons here.

Pace of the day ... often hard to justify an hour's drive for a 2-3 hour meeting/event and another hour drive home when there is so many things that might "need" to be attended to.

I DO belong and attend as many local club events throughout the year as "possible".

Would it be possible to start a listing ... or another forum that lets people know of local groups that are still lout there? Could become a good reference

Chesapeake Marine Aquaria Society (CMAS) - Maryland ... most meetings/events towards/outside Columbia

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish i had a club close. I am a member of the Atlanta Reef club but all the meetings are a 2 hour drive
Heck, I've considered joining even though I am up in chattanooga, either that or ETRC are the only clubs around for me at the moment, both are a 2 hour drive.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck, I've considered joining even though I am up in chattanooga, either that or ETRC are the only clubs around for me at the moment, both are a 2 hour drive.
your about the same drive yours is mostly interstate I am a member of the Atlanta Reef club but I admit I never go to any meetings

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that’s the other thing - no one wants to pay dues ‍♂️ - but they are cool shelling out $800+ for Radions [emoji848]

To be fair, some local clubs/forums are getting ridiculous with membership dues, "premium membership", etc. As the de facto "Treasurer" of LARC, I can tell you it doesn't cost much to host a simple forum + site software. Things only get expensive if you plan on hosting large frag swaps, meets, giveaways, etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back