Why are tank/stands so tall?

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for a new tank/stand complete setup with sump/plumbing/etc included. Been mostly focused on IM, Cade, possibly Red Sea and want to make a decision quickly before the sales end. I’m trying to understand why almost all tanks seem to be built just tall enough so that I can’t reach into them well. I’m 5’9” and it’s about 57 inches from the floor to my armpit. I currently have a Marineland 75 gallon tank/stand combo that is 48.5 inches high (my first tank). It’s easy to reach into and scrub the GHA, stir the cyano on the top of the stand, get rid of pests, pour in 5 gallon buckets for water changes, etc. Basically every tank/stand I’ve looked at is atleast 56 inches high except for a Cade frag tank which is 52 inches high, but that tank itself is only 13.7 inches high, which just seems too short to use as a reef tank.

I get that it’s nice to have tanks you can view nearer to eye level when standing, but does that mean most of you are doing all your tank maintenance on a stool that you have to move around. Just seems like a huge inconvenience, when the tank could be accessed while standing if the setup was just a few inches shorter. I also have a toddlers so they get a better view with a lower tank. Am I alone in this gripe? Always thought I was on the low end of average height, but maybe I’m just short and all of you are reaching in to these 60 inch tanks while standing on the floor.

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my stand made so my eye level is about 5 inches from the top. I think it's better that way.. I use a step ladder to work on the tank; it's not a big deal imo. A couple decades ago it was hard to find a high stand; I thought the standard ones were too low. If I'm standing in front of my tank I don't want to bend down.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m looking for a new tank/stand complete setup with sump/plumbing/etc included. Been mostly focused on IM, Cade, possibly Red Sea and want to make a decision quickly before the sales end. I’m trying to understand why almost all tanks seem to be built just tall enough so that I can’t reach into them well. I’m 5’9” and it’s about 57 inches from the floor to my armpit. I currently have a Marineland 75 gallon tank/stand combo that is 48.5 inches high (my first tank). It’s easy to reach into and scrub the GHA, stir the cyano on the top of the stand, get rid of pests, pour in 5 gallon buckets for water changes, etc. Basically every tank/stand I’ve looked at is atleast 56 inches high except for a Cade frag tank which is 52 inches high, but that tank itself is only 13.7 inches high, which just seems too short to use as a reef tank.

I get that it’s nice to have tanks you can view nearer to eye level when standing, but does that mean most of you are doing all your tank maintenance on a stool that you have to move around. Just seems like a huge inconvenience, when the tank could be accessed while standing if the setup was just a few inches shorter. I also have a toddlers so they get a better view with a lower tank. Am I alone in this gripe? Always thought I was on the low end of average height, but maybe I’m just short and all of you are reaching in to these 60 inch tanks while standing on the floor.
Probably has a lot to do with having room in the sump below - and yes - a lot of maintenance is done on a stool/chair

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the other direction, and had my stand made a few inches taller than normal so that the top of my 24" tall tank would be above eye level. That does mean I need a stool to reach the bottom of the tank, but it was worth it for me.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shocked at the title as I often complain that stands are far too short. I have a RedSea Reefer at home and I wish the stand was 6in taller. I like looking at the tank eye level and I find that a taller stand is much easier to move equipment in and out of. I also see it as a plus that the tank is hard to get into. It can disincentivize me from messing with things too much.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was shocked at the title as I often complain that stands are far too short. I like looking at the tank eye level and I find that a taller stand is much easier to move equipment in and out of.
same here!!! i’m using a metal stand from petco for a 40B. i WISH it was taller, as i bang my head cleaning the sump or in general.

OP
OP
T

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have thought with tanks commonly in living rooms, dining rooms and offices that people would prefer a lower height for prolonged viewing from the office chair/couch/dinner table.

As far as getting into the tank, I‘m guessing you all spend much less time than me in the tank because you don’t have algae issues. I’ve been battling GHA for 18 months. Hard to imagine doing that on stool, but I’d probably get used to it.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purposely build my stand high so that I could easily fit the sump, with room, AND so I didn't have to bend down to look in my tank. Might I suggest this:

step up stool.jpg

It quickly folds up and nicely fits behind the fish room door.

Indymann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand 36", tank 24", canopy 36". Plenty of room to work below and above.
IMG_7723.jpeg

IMG_7740.jpeg

SocalS14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I built my stand, it was for a niche next to a walkway in my home. So, I built mine to optimize viewing from a standing position, assuming you would be walking by the tank on most days. with a 24" high tank, that meant a 36" high stand, if I recall.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a low stand (30 inches) for a 30 inch tall tank... with equipment in the basement. I like the view from the sofa... and the top down divers view from the standing position. With some ingenuity, you could get equipment under a 30 inch stand, I think.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back