Why can’t I keep sps?

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve tried in the past to keep sps but they always get bleached. Thought my tank was still newish. Tank will be running for 2 yrs next month figured I try again so picked up 2 frags of milka stylo in November and they just started bleaching this is how they look now..
D19FBBD9-CBF4-40A3-BABA-56731DA672A9.jpeg
D62FBC61-E2EB-45CF-94E4-E7759EE6623E.jpeg
what am I doing wrong?
current parameters...
Alk.- 10.5
Phosphate- .5
Nitrate- 25
Calcium- 490
Magnesium- 1425
Ph- 8
Salinity- 1.026
Ammonia- .25
Nitrite- 0

masna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bmbpka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. Took me forever to figure it out.

First that ammonia isn’t going to help. Nitrates are high as well but you will find people who successfully run high nitrates with SPS.

First thing I did was shoot a water sample off. Find out what’s really going in your tank, you would be surprised. I found I had lots of chlorine, even after RODI. Added some additional stages to eliminate.

Next I’d rent the BRS par meter, make sure you are getting the right light. Well worth the $60. Better yet, if you can swing it, buy the USB pad meter apogee sells now for like $250. Best investment ever and you may be able to rent it out locally to make salt money!

Also make sure your flow is indirect not straight on. That was one of my problems.

Last I found I had better success with lower Alk. 7-8 dkh rather than they 10-11 I was running.

Keep with it, don’t give up and stay persistent.

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not alone. Here is a good read for you.

AgSoldier47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I had my flow set definitely messed with my sps. I knew they needed high flow so i just blasted them with the power heads... didn't help at all. Still working on getting the flow down so everything is happy and sand isn't going everywhere!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to measure PO4? A .5 reading is out of range for SPS unless they are gradually acclimated to that. Still, they will have a tough time building skeleton at those levels.

In general, your nutrients are high relative to most coral grow out systems.
In general, your ALK levels are high relative to most coral grow out systems (8.5 dkh)
I am going to assume the ammonia reading is from API so will ignore.

Maturity-wise you should be close at this stage. I would suggest a general enhancing of tank husbandry. Nothing crazy or fast. More water changes. Larger water changes. Vacuuming of sand bed. If your PO4 levels are Hanna measured, then a SLOW reduction via GFO. Like over the next 4 months slow to .15. Then stop.

I've already given you too many potential levers to pull. Others will suggest additional levers like carbon dosing, etc. Don't go pulling a bunch of levers at the same time. Choose levers you understand and go slow and MEASURE.

Happy to answer any questions this advice evokes.

Last edited:

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took 3 years in my last tank before I could keep sps other then monti caps alive. Even once I could keep them alive they pretty much just lived and didnt grow. Setup a new tank about 5 months ago and have had great success. I honestly feel many learning mistakes were made in my previous tank throughout its maturing that just seemed to scar it for its life. Possibly learning mistakes allowed for bad things the thrive and take hold. The new tank was a good reset where I was able to apply all I learned and really setup the tank for success.

OP
OP
C

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to measure PO4? A .5 reading is out of range for SPS unless they are gradually acclimated to that. Still, they will have a tough time building skeleton at those levels.

In general, your nutrients are high relative to most coral grow out systems.
In general, your ALK levels are high relative to most coral grow out systems (8.5 dkh)
I am going to assume the ammonia reading is from API so will ignore.

Maturity-wise you should be close at this stage. I would suggest a general enhancing of tank husbandry. Nothing crazy or fast. More water changes. Larger water changes. Vacuuming of sand bed. If your PO4 levels are Hanna measured, then a SLOW reduction via GFO. Like over the next 4 months slow to .15. Then stop.

I've already given you too many potential levers to pull. Others will suggest additional levers like carbon dosing, etc. Don't go pulling a bunch of levers at the same time. Choose levers you understand and go slow and MEASURE.

Happy to answer any questions this advice evokes.
PO4 used the salifert test kit. Alkalinity is usually around 8, 8.5 did a water change yesterday don’t know if that had anything to do with it. I started carbon dosing 2 months ago and got my nitrates down to 10ppm but the phosphate was still the same at .5 but I stopped don’t ask me why I don’t even know why. Started carbon dosing again today going to keep up with that.

OP
OP
C

cylon032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried sps besides pocillipora? They sometimes don’t transition well.
I do have a green slimmer frag I picked up about 2 weeks before the pocilliopora and that one looks like it’s doing good fine also picked up a bubblegum digi picked up 2 weeks ago but the green tips disappeared because I thought it was ready being the slimmer and milka was doing good.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing was destroying my tank and sps..what I have found is phosphates are just as important as alk for stability..once I had that in place my sps have survived and doing well..

Get nitrates down between 5-10. And phosphates down to .03...

Phosphate can be dropped using phosphate rx or similar from Brightwell

Back