Why did my alkalinity go up?

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had issues with my alkalinity being too low and I figured out how to raise it and got a doser to dose soda ash and kept it steady at 9 dkh for two weeks with no issues. I did my usual biweekly 20% water change. Alkalinity of the new water was 10.1 dkh. A couple days later, my emerald crab died so I decided to test the water off schedule. I usually test everything once a week. I was testing alk daily after starting the dosing but it stayed stable for a week so I stopped. All my results were what they usually are except my alk was 10.1. I turned off the doser and just now, 24 hours later it is still 10.1. my system usually uses up 0.5 dkh in a day. I assumed that doing the water change while continuing to dose raised it so I stopped dosing to lower it back down and start the dosing again once it got back down to 9. But since it didn't go down at all after not dosing for 24 hours I am at a loss as to what to do next. I also painstakingly measured and marked my soda ash reservoir in case it was dosing too much so I could monitor how much it was actually dosing.

Added this pic so you could see how I have the doser set up. It does 10 ml five times a day.
dosing pump.jpg

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower calcium and magnesium levels can make alk go up and or stay in place. And high calcium and magnesium can make alk go down.

Back