Why did my chaeto die?

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started noticing a couple of days ago my tank getting some algae. I checked and found my chaeto was brittle and yellow. I removed it from the tank. The tank had been running for more than a year and the chaeto was growing beautifully. Around a month ago I was having some high nitrates / phosphates so I maxed out my $20 cheap LED light. Did that cause it or could it also die from high nitrates? All my coral are growing nice and loving life!
I will be buying more chaeto today.
06C664EB-49EF-4322-8823-253784D2A711.jpeg

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto does bleach if hit with too much light but usually it looks stark white instead of what your seeing. It can certainly be hard for chaeto to compete with other algae. Even if the algae is not growing on the ball of chaeto they are competing for the same nutrients which are not just No3 and Po4 that we test for. Those things are more of a barometer.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was never successful with Chaeto. Never. Not sure what happened to that though. Very weird. My guess is too much light or not enough nutrients, duh (that is to me).

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was never successful with Chaeto. Never. Not sure what happened to that though. Very weird. My guess is too much light or not enough nutrients, duh (that is to me).
Is their any other macro you prefer. I might try to find it at the fish store today.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to confirm it is dead, right? It’s not just fading because of lack of nutrients.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto does bleach if hit with too much light but usually it looks stark white instead of what your seeing. It can certainly be hard for chaeto to compete with other algae. Even if the algae is not growing on the ball of chaeto they are competing for the same nutrients which are not just No3 and Po4 that we test for. Those things are more of a barometer.
I don’t really have algae. I started getting a lot of algae on the glass so I assumed that it was from the chaeto dying?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to confirm it is dead, right? It’s not just fading because of lack of nutrients.

Brittle is a problem, but yellow may not be.

The owner of Reefcentral years ago came to the chem forum for help with yellow caulerpa. At our recommendation, he dosed iron, and within 2 days it was green again and began growing faster.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure about fading or dead. Mine would just dissolve to nothing. It actually just looks "sick". I would be tempted to leave it in and see if it gets the green back or dies completely. That is me though just being curious.

I run an UAS in my systems. I have used the floating too. Just more sucess with the UAS. Love them.

If you have a lack of nutrients for it, it will die off. Goal is to have the algae soak up extras and grow in the right places. :)

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll leave it in and do a water change to help with the trace elements. I haven’t done one in a while so it’s probably why it’s dying.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back