digi closes when nitrate is under 40 ppm!!!?? HELP PLS im stumped...

person

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bubble gum digi coral that was doing great in my 25 gal. It is currently my only coral and It had all of its polyps opened and was happy, but my nitrates were at 40 ppm. I added some chaeto to lower them and did a water change. after I did the water change my nitrates went down to 26 ppm but my coral completely closed all of its polyps. I checked my alkalinity to make sure it was good and everything was fine. Im actually really confused, i thought i was supposed to have nitrates under 10 ppm for corals to thrive, but this one seems to get mad if it is under 40. My test kits are all good and they are accurate. Could it be that this coral likes dirty water? and if so could i add other corals to the tank? or would they die?

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk who started the corals like super low nutrient thing. But if it likes 40 stay around there and if you want. Bring them down slow. But it was probably just ticked at the water change.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals react to fast changing parameters. Did you measure salinity before and after the waterchange? Were any other parameters way different than the numbers printed on the salt bucket? Which parameters did you even test

Bubblegum digis do fine with polyps open even in 0.2ppm nitrate, it's not that.

How long ago was the waterchange, if it was today just let the coral get used to it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back