0   0   0

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get what you pay for....

If all you want to do is see the PH or Temp, buy a probe and stick it in your pocket so you can test every time you pass the tank.

On the other hand, if you want to see your PH every 5 minutes over the last day/week/month, so that you can see the actual effects of feeding, dosing, water changes, etc, then good luck with that hand held probe.

The email/text alerts are invaluable. Temp too hot/cold, Ph out of range, water level low.

You can create your own visual indicators. My lights shut off when the temp gets too high because that is something I will notice when I walk by and not have to read my email/text

Being able to control specific outlets based on the state of a different outlet. I have my Chiller and UV shut off automatically when the Pump is shut off.

I use a separate programmable dosing pump, but shut off power to it if Ph is out of range.

I use the breakout so that I can:
a) monitor water levels with a float switch.
b) wire a switch in to go to feed mode with the push of a button. Circulation pumps, Protien skimmer, etc shut down.
c) wire a switch in to go to specific lighting profile with the push of a button.
d) I wired an alarm sensor to the doors of my cabinet so the light fixture under the tank comes on when I open the door

If you want to simulate nature more closely , you can use the seasonal tables to control sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset times through the year.

This really only scratches the surface. I can not imagine having a tank today without a controller. It lets me spend way more of my time enjoying the tank and not working on it.

And I can do everything standing in front of the tank or anywhere on the planet that has internet connectivity via the controllers Web interface or through APEX Fusion.

I highly recommend looking at these programs here, you can get some great ideas
http://www.kenargo.com/apexProgram/

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added 2 dosing pumps, using up the relay outlets, so my Avast ATO with AquaLifter pump had to slide to a TRIAC outlet. Well, that didn't work so I added a 2-way and a lamp so the pump would shut off. Now I have a fancy lamp that comes on to alert me when my ATO is on, lol. Hey, it will work until I can get another EB4 haha.

Chriscrna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I just don't see the value in the alerts. Knowing up to the min status doesn't do anything to fix the issue if I'm not there. If the tank getting too cold is a serious issue, I would just simply add a backup heater. If one fails, the other will maintain tank temp until the failed one can be replaced. Heaters are actually fairly cheap, so I wouldn't consider 3 total to be a bad idea either. Now, if the main, backup and the backup backup all happen to fail - you are obviously cursed and I would start with an exorcism or something haha.

You're missing the point. Alerts aren't for up to the minute status. I can simply check fusion on my phone for up to the minute status. Alerts are for when something is wrong.

So you've solved your cold tank problem. Great. What if your tank gets too hot? How does an extra heater help you then?

I had a tank that fried because a heater therm malfunctioned and cooked everything to 92 degrees.

Would have been nice to have my apex then. A) It would have shut the outlet off at 80 degrees as I have it programmed now. B) Worse case scenario, I call my wife at home and have her unplug the heater. Either way, I would have known the instant the tank went above 80 degrees.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg of what these things can do.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're missing the point. Alerts aren't for up to the minute status. I can simply check fusion on my phone for up to the minute status. Alerts are for when something is wrong.

So you've solved your cold tank problem. Great. What if your tank gets too hot? How does an extra heater help you then?

I had a tank that fried because a heater therm malfunctioned and cooked everything to 92 degrees.

Would have been nice to have my apex then. A) It would have shut the outlet off at 80 degrees as I have it programmed now. B) Worse case scenario, I call my wife at home and have her unplug the heater. Either way, I would have known the instant the tank went above 80 degrees.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg of what these things can do.

I guess you missed my earlier post, I suggested this:

http://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc-3..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1ZBQY6961FY7NJKEZDV6

My point is simple. Apex didn't invent the "Temperature controlled outlet", this has been around for a long time already, you probably just called it a different name - The thermostat.

I am well aware of the difference between current status and what an alert is used for. My point is that remote "alerts for when something is wrong" are worthless without the additional ability to either prevent or remotely fix the issue that caused the alert. It's just a log at that point. You don't need an Apex to accomplish your plan A, and the additional money you spend to also have your plan B is worthless because your plan B would have never worked. You don't realize how quick a malfunction like that actually happens. You literally have minutes. What do I know about critical infrastructure monitoring? Enough to work for a major ISP doing just that...

Reeflogic