Why do my hermits love my cabbage leather corals?

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason a few of my hermits hang out around the bases of my two cabbage leather corals. I figured they were there for the mucus from the cabbage leathers' shedding but it seems like even when the corals aren't shedding they just stay close to the base and appear to be eating algae off the rock at the bases. Sometimes they walk across the corals though, folding them over and such. They're not eating the corals but the hermits have kept them from extending polyps for a couple of weeks now and both are shedding much more than normal. I do know these particular hermits like nori enough that they left the cabbage leathers alone the whole time it was in there the other day. Short of yanking the hermits is there something I can do?

majesticbigmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits are quite (excuse my French) jerk to be honest. The first coral I ever had, my electric blue hermit decided it provided a comfortable enough bed for him, and decided to home himself on top of them. The zoas didn't perish, however they didn't open up for a week or so after he found new living quarters. They should leave it alone after a while, if not you may have some nasty grizzlers on your hands who decide they prefer their new home. Best thing to do is remove them from the tank, or wait it out. Good Luck.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will wait and see for now. I have nori in the tank today so crabs and snails are on it. Hopefully this will teach them there are other rocks to explore lol. The cabbage leathers have finished the latest shed and even before I put the nori in today there were only two hermits up there so there is hope. Thank you.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back