Why do people wrap coral in a bag first?

Chads_Coral_Collection

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious why people wrap corals in an empty bag first. Then place them in a bag filled with water? Is this for shock resistance and to keep from rubbing on the other bag?

Let me know. I just had a few corals shipped to me. One was a chalice and was rubbed down to the skeleton on the sharp points. And another acro was dead 5 mins after putting in my tank. I didn't look at it too close while acclimating unfortunately

Luckily I won them in an auction pretty cheap

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's like a bubble wrap for corals.

Also some of the frags might be pointy . ( birdnest ) wrap that up first in plastic, so it won't puncture the bag of water

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm....that sounds weird.
Ive had mine shipped in a small bag, WITH water. Then that bag was in another bag. More or less for if the inside one broke. Then in styrofoam packed with newspaper.
Sometimes, with multiples, they will put each in their own bag, then a bigger bag will be put around 2-3 individual corals.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better vendors better shipping I'd say. Most I've gotten are secure in a plastic cup the plug goes thru the bottom so cup protects the coral or similar methods. Then the coral isn't bouncing around punching holes and getting beat to death.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Better vendors better shipping I'd say. Most I've gotten are secure in a plastic cup the plug goes thru the bottom so cup protects the coral or similar methods. Then the coral isn't bouncing around punching holes and getting beat to death.

I think this method is mostly used on corals that are not on stemmed plugs, more like flat disks for blastos/chalices, etc. Just wrap it in a plastic bag, then it goes into another bag with water.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotten blastos and chalice this way they just use a solo cup cut down n dab of glue on bottom to secure it. Even seen the cups with tops that come from like gumball machines with prizes used top used to secure it with the bubble as the cover to protect em. Rubber banded clamped and heat sealed for closing the bags. Guess you learn something every day.
IMAG1929.jpg

OP
OP
Chads_Coral_Collection

Chads_Coral_Collection

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that idea [emoji1318]. I was brain storming something just like it this morning. It keeps sensitive corals from getting beat up against the bag or cup. Pretty clever

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u explain this? 2-6k per rock??
if your ordering zoas and shrooms from overseas they come in colonies on a big rock. it costs $2000, to $6000 and up depending on the livestock. when they get here they get fragged and cut up.

And no Ill never get one. But Ive seen them.:eek:.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back