Why do we not have led t5 replacements yet

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree to disagree on that Midrats. I'm sitting next to my tank, looks like I've got 32 clusters of 3 in my 36" XHO. So 96 individual diodes in the 3' span, 32 per foot.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree to disagree on that Midrats. I'm sitting next to my tank, looks like I've got 32 clusters of 3 in my 36" XHO. So 96 individual diodes in the 3' span, 32 per foot.
It's a reflection. Look more closely. Look on BRS, there's 12 per foot.

Specifications:

12 LEDs per foot

LED Wattage - 3w per LED (driven at approx 50%)

Dimensions - 1.85" W x 1.1" H

Power Cord - >6ft

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I found on the XHO.

1638380906246.png

I believe you used to be able to use their controller and actually run the leds at their full wattage.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is one heck of an optical illusion, lol! I stand corrected and see where the reflectors meet now. Pretty crazy that get that much spread

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see a company make a large footprint LED using reflectors. Like reefbrite meets kessils in a wide MH 15x15 or 20x20 footprint.

You will probably never see this. For large tanks and large areas, LEDs already cannot match the efficiency of MH - for example, needing 3x Radion xr30s to cover what a single 250w MH can do over say a 24x24 or 30x30 area with the same output and not skimping on PPFD - Dr. Joshi replacing 3x MH with 10r Radion xr30s and still thinks that the output is a bit less). The people who would want something like this are so few, that it is not worth developing. You already got the people out of the market who were using 2x 400w MH and 4x T5s over a 120g tank now using 2x Hydra 52s when a pair of 150w Halides would have done the same thing at 300w instead of 1000w.

One reflected kessils will not do it over that area, especially once the reflector spreads it and if you add 4 or 5, then the argument about wattage is gone. Also, heat becomes an issue in a reflector. Form factor would be a nightmare too for most people who want LEDs.

Large areas are not something that most LED companies want to compete in. The wide panels like ReefBreeders work better for this anyway.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will probably never see this. For large tanks and large areas, LEDs already cannot match the efficiency of MH - for example, needing 3x Radion xr30s to cover what a single 250w MH can do over say a 24x24 or 30x30 area with the same output and not skimping on PPFD - Dr. Joshi replacing 3x MH with 10r Radion xr30s and still thinks that the output is a bit less). The people who would want something like this are so few, that it is not worth developing. You already got the people out of the market who were using 2x 400w MH and 4x T5s over a 120g tank now using 2x Hydra 52s when a pair of 150w Halides would have done the same thing at 300w instead of 1000w.

One reflected kessils will not do it over that area, especially once the reflector spreads it and if you add 4 or 5, then the argument about wattage is gone. Also, heat becomes an issue in a reflector. Form factor would be a nightmare too for most people who want LEDs.

Large areas are not something that most LED companies want to compete in. The wide panels like ReefBreeders work better for this anyway.
That makes sense and is pretty much what I experienced on my current 75g. I'm running reefbrite's 36" hybrid now and love the growth and coloration. Heat transfer to the tank isn't much more than it was with the 3 g5s either.

I know there wouldn't be enough interest in it to develop it but I still think it would be the only way to truly cover a large footprint with few LEDs, at least how I like to cover my tanks. You're right though, it'd be hard to mimic 250w MH output let alone 400w in a reflector.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is one heck of an optical illusion, lol! I stand corrected and see where the reflectors meet now. Pretty crazy that get that much spread
Seriously right!? I went for quite a while before I noticed, knocked the wind out of my sails a little. Goes to show how well the reflectors work.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back