Why Do You Collect Coral?

Reefer Matt

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
May 15, 2021
Messages
11,237
Reaction score
42,946
Location
US
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those who are familiar with me know I appreciate our aquatic friends for the wondrous, majestic creatures that they are. Yet I still find myself collecting more and more coral species that captivate my imagination of where they come from and how they live.

I often hear other collectors exclaim “nice piece!” when describing a beautiful specimen proudly displayed in a photo or friend’s tank. The excitement seems to grip us all when a new color morph or species is available in the hobby.

Coral collecting is certainly a healthy alternative to many of life’s bad habits, so my question to you is:

Why Do You Collect Coral?
 
initially i just wanted to add some other life to my tank and bought a few cheap corals. but then i decided i wanted nicer pieces so i could frag and sell em in future. and the nicer more expensive pieces are the more colorful and bright and beautiful ones to look at.
 
Corals are aesthetically pleasing to me. I am especially fond of the PE of Acropora unfortunately.
I enjoy the science needed to keep corals.
Seeing my corals grow is very rewarding. You're always invested in what tomorrow will bring.
FB_IMG_1730030999434.jpg
 
I don't currently collect coral as I am still learning to care for the few I have, but I would like to start a collection in the future. My reasoning is simple: I love how colorful they can get. Maybe my mindset will change as I discover the different areas of reward that collecting brings, but right now, I just want them because they're pretty. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new