Why does my nassarius snail poop so much?

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After only a day or so, there are so many pellets of poop. I love the guy, but wow. It feels like that SpongeBob meme with all of the baby diapers.

I guess besides confirming that this would indeed be poop from the nassarius snail, is the only way to cleanup via siphoning during a water change? Even then, they barely float up, and I have to remove too much sand along with it, making it detrimental over time. The detritus seems pretty heavy to be siphoned. Any suggestions to keep my tank cleaner in this way would be appreciated.

20240120_075942.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol that would be a lot of snail poop.... no, its not poop, looks like diatoms maybe. How old is your tank? Its a type of algae, it might be dino's but IDK, will need to wait for someone else to confirm.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're saying that the black pellets are diatoms? I'm pretty sure that the brown on the sand are the diatoms. I've already observed those under a microscope. I've also gone through two big dino battles and finally, thankfully, won both of those. That was due to my bottomed out phosphates.

So what would the hard, cylindrical looking pellets be if not poop? I can take a better picture if that would help of these random piles. It looks super similar to the other snail's poop, which is only on the rockwork, because that's where he chills.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with @ Mr. Mojo Rising. Yes on vacuuming, a larger clean up crew, more flow in the tank, (no dead spots) and check your lighting schedule and sunlight, diffused or not affecting your fish room.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with @ Mr. Mojo Rising. Yes on vacuuming, a larger clean up crew, more flow in the tank, (no dead spots) and check your lighting schedule and sunlight, diffused or not affecting your fish room.
Hopefully my reply above helps clarify, but I'm not concerned about the rust-like sand, but rather, the large pellets. Flow is difficult in a pico, let alone with the type of sand I unfortunately went with. My Ricordea would blow up into inside out umbrellas if I had enough flow for the tank itself, ha.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back