2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic related

My phosphates are 0.12
My Nitrates are 13

Prior to this, my phosphates were extremely high due to traveling and the tank sitter feeding a bit too much so I turned on the reactor again added new GFO and carbon it has been running since Friday.

I did a chemiclean treatment as well last week, but that doesn't seem to have cleared up anything.

B2FFC123-63B0-453E-ACE4-E45D002EF13F.png 94FD96A2-1945-41EA-9B33-C309A4E3ECC7.jpeg

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a pic, but chemiclean as far as I know is for cyanobacteria, I don't know if it does anything for diatoms.

Generally, the blooms aren't long term, so it could be that the high phosphates through the balance in a different direct, and the relatively sudden correction just hasn't had time to properly settle yet. You may even find that churning the sand or blowing off the rocks makes them more or less go away if they're already on the down swing.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a pic, but chemiclean as far as I know is for cyanobacteria, I don't know if it does anything for diatoms.

Generally, the blooms aren't long term, so it could be that the high phosphates through the balance in a different direct, and the relatively sudden correction just hasn't had time to properly settle yet. You may even find that churning the sand or blowing off the rocks makes them more or less go away if they're already on the down swing.
You don't see it on the zoas? There was ALOT more but I blew it off... I believe its choking my zoas. I cant tell if they have gotten better uet

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes increasing flow and making sure there isn't direct sunlight hitting the tank. I get patches of it sometimes in the dead spot in the back of my tank. I usually just get a clean up crew or try to increase flow a little. Manually hit it with a turkey baster for a week could be the solution.

If you had a nutrients problem sometimes it takes a couple weeks for the nutrient rich organisms to die off. Most problems we face are something that has already happened and were riding it out.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see the pictures before, but if it's sticking to zoas it may be more likely to be dinos than diatoms. If that's the case, letting the nutrient levels come up just a bit, maybe slightly reducing carbon dosing (if you do it), and just removing it periodically and seeing if time (a week or two) will level things out again.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes increasing flow and making sure there isn't direct sunlight hitting the tank. I get patches of it sometimes in the dead spot in the back of my tank. I usually just get a clean up crew or try to increase flow a little. Manually hit it with a turkey baster for a week could be the solution.

If you had a nutrients problem sometimes it takes a couple weeks for the nutrient rich organisms to die off. Most problems we face are something that has already happened and were riding it out.
Thats what I did was hit it with the turkey lol. Also My flow is over 3000GPH with 3 Nero 5s at 100%, so its moving lol. I guess Ill give it some time...

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see the pictures before, but if it's sticking to zoas it may be more likely to be dinos than diatoms. If that's the case, letting the nutrient levels come up just a bit, maybe slightly reducing carbon dosing (if you do it), and just removing it periodically and seeing if time (a week or two) will level things out again.
Maybe it is Dinos... I dont think I should let the phosphates come up more? I think if I drop the phosphates and keep the nitrates around 15 it should be fine... and no im not carbon dosing.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I did was hit it with the turkey lol. Also My flow is over 3000GPH with 3 Nero 5s at 100%, so its moving lol. I guess Ill give it some time...
Being patient sucks in this hobby week 3 of 6 for my CUC QT. I wouldn't chase the problem stick to a simple solution and if still persists in a month try another route.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 73 48.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back