Why is Marine Buffer frowned upon?

pal98111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alkalinity and ph in my tank are both low -- around 7 and about 7.0 - 7.4, respectively. I added an air stone to improve oxygen uptake but that didn't make any difference that I can tell. I recently added some Seahem Marine Buffer to increase both. However, I have read that I should not add a buffer. However, I have also read that adding baking soda is okay. What is the specific reason that the buffer is not good.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't speak on the buffer, but might need a bit more information.

What is the size of the tank, what are its inhabitants what are you using to test pH?

The Alk isn't too low, its around NSW levels, (although I like 9 in most tanks), meaning pH should not actually be that low. Your test kit could be faulty.

Do you have a refugium?

Some basic info on your tank would be nice

OP
OP
pal98111

pal98111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't speak on the buffer, but might need a bit more information.

What is the size of the tank, what are its inhabitants what are you using to test pH?

The Alk isn't too low, its around NSW levels, (although I like 9 in most tanks), meaning pH should not actually be that low. Your test kit could be faulty.

Do you have a refugium?

Some basic info on your tank would be nice
I have a 10 gallon tank, HOB filter, 2 fish and a shrimp, I use a Tropic marine test for ph and alk. No refugium.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon tank, HOB filter, 2 fish and a shrimp, I use a Tropic marine test for ph and alk. No refugium.
What fish are they?

And are you planning on adding any corals?

And what salt are you using? What does the newly mixed salt test as (pH and alk)

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alkalinity and ph in my tank are both low -- around 7 and about 7.0 - 7.4, respectively. I added an air stone to improve oxygen uptake but that didn't make any difference that I can tell. I recently added some Seahem Marine Buffer to increase both. However, I have read that I should not add a buffer. However, I have also read that adding baking soda is okay. What is the specific reason that the buffer is not good.
Why not add buffers? I love my Seachem buffer 8.3. What arguments were made against it?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not add buffers? I love my Seachem buffer 8.3. What arguments were made against it?

There are multiple issues that may be what the op is referring to.

1. Buffers in general are not a good way to deal with pH issues. They typically raise alkalinity excessively without solving pH problems. If you want to raise pH, carbonate is the second best bet, and hydroxide is best. Buffers which are usually a mix of bicarbonate and carbonate (such as the 8.3 you mention) has a smaller effect than carbonate.

2. There is a specific issue with Seachem Marine buffer, and some related products that add carbonate/bicarbonate and borate, but only bicarbonate/carbonate is greatly consumed by calcifying corals.

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest thing I've found (in the past) is that the buffer is only a temporary/bandaid solution, ie: it only lasts for a short while before you have to actively dose again.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back