Why is my alkalinity dropping?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the lights on and fish. Wouldn’t worry if all is only a little lower in the tank with the ph low. For your tank to mature it needs light. If it’s 7.9 check it in a couple weeks I bet it will be about the same. Also I never saw tropic Marin mix to 8.0. It’s always low 7. Not saying your wrong just what I see over the years with my test kits

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. I’m not going to add corals if my numbers aren’t stable.
Here's another way to say the same thing as everyone else...
Right now you have brand new tank with practically new water, rocks, biofilter. Nothing consuming elements, maybe the rock is absorbing something, idk. You want to stabilize 1st but there's nothing to stabilize. You need to turn on lights, slowly add fish. Change water and perform maintenance. In a few months the tank will have settled into its parameters based on water changes. Then you start adding corals, they consume elements. Test parameters. When water changes aren't keeping up with consumption, then you start dosing to maintain stability.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alk drop you mention is very small and is easily corrected.

Alk can be dropping due to accumulating nitrate, and from abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate, which is very common in new tanks.

Higher pH will only make that precipitation worse and I’d not use a scrubber until something in the tank will benefit from higher pH.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back