Why is my frammer cross?

trelise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. New to corals, reef tanks in general I guess.

The first coral I've bought is a frammer. Saw it at the local LPS and bought maybe a little bit impulsively. It was really pretty and fully extended in the store, but it hasn't opened like that at home. All of the heads aren't fully closed up but mostly.

I left it for about two weeks to let it adjust but it still isn't happy.
It's in an area with moderate lighting but low flow - I just moved it to get more of both in case that was it.

I don't have a picture right now, but will post one soon. I'm on my break at work haha.

What am I doing wrong?
pH 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

I have ordered other test kits (magnesium, calcium, phosphate) but they haven't arrived yet.

Also having a bit of a dino flare-up, could that be causing it?

How long do they take to settle in? Is it just a matter of time?

Thank you.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate 0, no phosphate, alkalinity, calcium or magnesium reading are your issues

Edit: not trying to sound rude. Without all of those parameters done by decent tests no one can give you the correct answer.

Last edited:

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The first coral I've bought is a frammer. Saw it at the local LPS and bought maybe a little bit impulsively. It was really pretty and fully extended in the store, but it hasn't opened like that at home. All of the heads aren't fully closed up but mostly.

It's in an area with moderate lighting but low flow - I just moved it to get more of both in case that was it.

I don't have a picture right now, but will post one soon. I'm on my break at work haha.

What am I doing wrong?
pH 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

I have ordered other test kits (magnesium, calcium, phosphate) but they haven't arrived yet.

Thank you.

LPS usually like a little bit of nitrates. Welcome to the reef club

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What am I doing wrong?
pH 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

Thank you.
Your water is too clean. Raise your nitrates. Test for phosphates and if they are 0, raise these too.
How old is your tank?
Any fish? If you have fish, then feeding more and/or reducing your filtration (remove skimmer cup, change filter socks/floss less often, etc) will be the easiest thing to raise your nutrients.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above. Sounds like a new tank with low/zero nutrients. Also interested in how often you do water changes and if you are seeing any alkalinity swings. Light for this coral initially should be 80-100 par. Flow enough to get a lazy sway of the tentacles.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I see 0 ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, I am always willing to bet a beer that it was an API test kit.

If the coral is not happy after 2 weeks in your tank, there is something wrong with the tank. We can only provide suggestions when we know as much info about the tank as possible, but since you do not have proper test kits, you are working blindly and no one can offer proper suggestions.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water is too clean. Raise your nitrates. Test for phosphates and if they are 0, raise these too.
How old is your tank?
Any fish? If you have fish, then feeding more and/or reducing your filtration (remove skimmer cup, change filter socks/floss less often, etc) will be the easiest thing to raise your nutrients.
Why are you asking how old the tank is ??? And why in this thread aren’t you advocating dumping ammonia ??

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you asking how old the tank is ??? And why in this thread aren’t you advocating dumping ammonia ??
Because this is typical of a new tank. Low nutrients, dinos. I had to dose phosphate for the first 6 months of my tanks history. Euphyllia don't do very well in low nutrients and alk swings of a new system. I don't understand the ammonia comment. OP stated it was zero.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because this is typical of a new tank. Low nutrients, dinos. I had to dose phosphate for the first 6 months of my tanks history. Euphyllia don't do very well in low nutrients and alk swings of a new system. I don't understand the ammonia comment. OP stated it was zero.
CoralB is picking on me because in a different, completely unrelated thread, I contradicted his statement that ammonia is bad for coral. It's not, and I posted a research paper that explains why. I never told anyone to "dump ammonia", he's just being childish and argumentative.

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I see 0 ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, I am always willing to bet a beer that it was an API test kit.

If the coral is not happy after 2 weeks in your tank, there is something wrong with the tank. We can only provide suggestions when we know as much info about the tank as possible, but since you do not have proper test kits, you are working blindly and no one can offer proper suggestions.
i switched from the liquid tests like api to the hanna tests and never looked back.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back