Why is my pH dropping???

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I jinxed myself. My pH has been extremely stable for the last week or so since I have started monitoring with the Seneye and I can see it 24/7. Two days ago it started dropping. I checked my DIY Carbon Scrubber and noticed the soda lime needed to be changed. It wasn't all purple but 60% of it was and it had been about 6 weeks since I changed it. I did so. Figured my pH would go back to a steady 8.2 like it has been. Nope, this morning I looked at my Seneye and the light for the pH was red; 7.8. Can't figure out for the life of me why it's dropping. I keep my Alk @9.5dhk; tested last night and it was 9.3 so I dosed accordingly but that shouldn't cause my pH to drop like that. The only new thing I have added to my tank was a new, larger Hang on back Refugium. Upgraded from a 13" to a 19" on Tuesday. I did use all new substrate (mix of Miracle Mud & Mangrove Substrat). Think that's what's causing my pH dip? I don't think adding things to get it back up but I certainly don't like that I'm getting into the danger zone. Anything I should/could do? Most of my corals seem okay, I have 4 Gonis and they're all happy, several Acros that are happy as well. Noticed my Brain coral and my Space invader Pectinia aren't puffed up though. Other than those 2 all corals are fine and that's a total of about 48.

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI I just tested my pH with my RedSea test kit and came up with 8.2. Whew! I feel much better now, must be the Seneye? Anyone have Seneyes and have issues like that?

Roush427R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, mine does that every now and then. I changed the slide and cleaned out some gunk from the sensor and now my PH is back up. I'm not sure if I get bad slides or what.

OP
OP
Luckyduck

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, mine does that every now and then. I changed the slide and cleaned out some gunk from the sensor and now my PH is back up. I'm not sure if I get bad slides or what.
Yea it's gotta be a bad slide then. I've had nothing but disappointment with this Seneye. Cool idea and I was excited to get it but very disappointed. It's hard to even measure the PAR as the number jumps all over the place when you hold it in one spot. Jumps like 30-50 PAR. Which number do you use for the reading? Kind of average the swings? After soaking for 48 hours I put the slide in and it was like 8.5 for 2 days till it stabilized out to 8.2 but that only lasted for about 4 days till it dropped to 7.8 Grrrr!

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 38 21.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 59.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back